jeremycnwy

Eyelet With D2t Question

I am new to this and would like to say this site has been great. I have learned a lot in the last couple months. My question is how do you keep your eyelets clean when rotating baits on a drier with D2T?

I don't try. After the topcoat is dry, I put a very small mm drill bit in a Dremel and remove the paint and topcoat that have accumulated in and on them. I don't worry about getting anything in the hangers or line ties while finishing baits. Impossible not to since I often dip baits in Dick Nite S81. And when brushing epoxy, I want to be sure every hanger is 100% sealed, so If I know I'll be cleaning out the hanger later with my Dremel, that's a non-problem. Just slap that epoxy on there. Since you have limited time to brush Devcon on the bait, it also eases the "hurry up" a bit.

I am also new to making hardbaits and found this part to be difficult. I got some small wire and just run it through the eyes very lightly after about a minute of dry time. That D2T is nice but limited on the working time but ready to handle within a few hours. I ordered some S81 and recieved it friday. Plan on trying to dip a few this weekend.

I am also new to making hardbaits and found this part to be difficult. I got some small wire and just run it through the eyes very lightly after about a minute of dry time. That D2T is nice but limited on the working time but ready to handle within a few hours. I ordered some S81 and recieved it friday. Plan on trying to dip a few this weekend.

True, after a few hours, the D2T epoxy is set hard enough to handle. But I found that if you handled the bait much before 12 hours, the acids from your skin would dull the finish and you would lose that super 'Fatfingers' clarity that we all strive for. Now, I don't touch mine before 24 hours, unless it is just a testing proto.

Dave