longhorn

Swimbait Inserts

Since the wind is blowing 40 mph and I can't fish I put this together. Here is one way to make inserts that has worked well for me.

inserts.jpg

I use standard 3/16 aluminum pop rivets and pop rivet washers. First glue the washers together with super glue as shown and then glue the rivets each halfway in one at a time. It makes a strong and light insert that will stay put. Some pop rivets are very smooth at the opening of the head. At any rate a light touch with a miniature file will smooth the opening. To secure in an RTV mold simply lay it in at the angle you want and insert a short piece of wire to keep it from slipping down when pouring.

upside.jpg

The image above shows how to secure the insert to make a swimbait with the treble hook on top. Use a piece of wire slightly longer than the insert and stick it in the mold cavity to secure. I add stainless weights (slingshot ammo) by dropping them into the bait after pouring. Make sure they are centered. With the hook on top I believe the hookup ratio is better and it comes through weeds very well. This is just one way of doing things that works for me.

if you fish very many swimbaits hook on top is the higher percentage hookup. as for hook out the bottom just stab your wire where you want it to come out the bottom of the bait and put the angle you desire on the insert , then pour

X2 I agree. I also think a single top hook is a much higher hookup percentage, since the fish has swallowed the bait, and that big hook at the end of heavier line, on a heavier rod, sticks them really well. A good sharp hook is key. A hook that big that's dull won't get into the fish's mouth.

I'll go one step farther, and say that I think using a big, solid, embeded hook, instead of a through line and top set treble, gives me a much more solid hookset, too.

I used to throw Optima through line swimbaits a lot, with a #1 belly treble, but I found that the multiple points seemed to spread the force of the hookset, and a lot of fish came up and spit, or had the hook fall out in the net.

That doesn't happen with a sharp 6/0 tophook, and I don't worry about getting snagged when I fish the bait slow and deep.

I use the same swimbait mold as Longhorn, the Lurecraft 5" 5/894. It only uses 37 grams of plastic, and it's big enough to attract good fish, but small enough for them to engulf.

If a bait gets torn up, I cut out the hook, remelt the bait, and repour.