Cobra0718

Weighting Problem!

Ok... Here is the problem I've had... I have added weight to my baits and have them sitting just a tad bit higher than I'd like in the water when testing them floating.

Painted about a dozen baits and top coated them with devcon. Installed the hooks, rings and the suckers go to the bottom so fast it's not even funny... Is there an easier way to decide this with out getting to the final bait and then finding out what I have....lol

The are all made from Balsa wood... I'm getting the desired action that I'm looking for, with the exception on sinking to the bottom...lol

I have a couple more that I have done... Top completed with out the paint jobs done. I left the belly weights out and put all the hardware on them. I will try them like this and see if I can get them exactly like I wanted.

I have 2 different sizes that I'm working with. The first one is 1 3/4 of an inch long and 3/8 wide. The second on is 2 1/4 inches long and 7/16 wide. The are both flat sided crankbaits.

The mind works better with a break, sometimes anyways... :)

Balsa is pretty forgiving as far as weighting goes. You have way too much weight in the bait if just a coat of Devcon sinks the bait. If it was hardwood then I could understand. Hardwood is a touchy thing to weight properly. For the 1 3/4 in bait use 1/8 oz. If you have problems with that much weight for that lure you can go to 1/16oz. but the lure will be hard to throw with anything other than a spinning rod. Make the lure 1/2 inch wide. It will take the 1/8th. For the 2 1/4 try 1/8 to 3/16oz. This will get you in the ballpark.

Skeeter

Hey Cobra let me give you an idea. For weighting go to a good tackle dealer and find some little lead shot about the size of a BB or just a tad bigger. THey are used for making slinky sinkers if you know what those are(piece of parachute cord with the lead bb's inside of it for riverfishing) I picked up a bag of those. Then what I do is add a 1/8oz sinker in the belly directly behind the front hook hanger then in front of it I drill a hole just big enough for the bb to fit in and I add one in front and that gives me just a little weight in front to help get the front pointed down. THis may be different for other size baits. But what I recommend doing is drilling where you want the weight and add what you think put the piece of tape over it so it dosn't fall ou and just set it into a bucket of water. see how it sets and go from there. You have to be using way tomuch weight for the lures to be sinking like that. I have just been using that one 1/8oz weight and that little bb and adding the hardware like rings and hooks and devcon and the bait sits with his back just out of water perfectly and rises quickly. DOn't worry it dosn't seem like that much weight but it is you can cast it with that little of weight a good distance.

Good luck!

Great advice for all of you!

The baits that I have been doing are the D-Bait copies with a few mods to it. On the 1 3/4 length bait, I've been using Spilt shot 3/0 I put in 2 just behind the belly hanger, then I put one just in front of the belly and they are working just fine...

Now on the problem, bait is the 2 1/4 inch bait. Just behind the Belly Hanger I've put in a 1/8oz Bullet weight. Just in front of that one I've put in the 1 spilt shot 3/0. Everything seem to works great, until I get the devcon on it.

I started a bait last night that I have completed. I left the weight holes open'd. I will add my weights and everything and then see what I get... I hope this will solve my problems...lol

The ones that I have completed that sink, it's not like they weight 100 pds and sink straight to the bottom. They gradually sink... So, I'm going to keep them around and use them on Rock walls... :)

thanks again everyone!

Now if you could just send out a picture of this lure that we could view! I'd have to see the hardware,but basickly you just want to use weight for ballance and not anything else. I don't use balsa but it takes a min. lenth of 3.5"(depending on the cheap wood) on my solid wood lures to make them float > fully armed. A -3" lure will sink with solid wood. I would think I could ballance balsa with just 2 or 3 tiny tiny split shots .

Although I have never purchased a Dbait, I have purchased the Weebait. This is the bait that Gary Dees copied and marketed the proper way. The Weebaits are still for sale in the Cincinnati area and in my opinion have a better scale pattern. The purpose of the weighting on these baits is more than just balance and a upright stance. I am going through this same problem with my own baits and have come to the realization that if you go light you can always add by drilling a small hole in the belly. If you go to heavy about the only thing you can do is try to lighten up your terminal equipment. Split rings, hooks. You can only get so light by doing this. Drill a 1/16 th hole a 1/2 inch and you can add about 5 number 9 shot from a shotgun shell. cover with epoxy. Repaint and you are back in business. Or just add another coat of devcon. Nothing wrong with sinking baits. The countdown Rapala has been catching fish for years!