YakAngler81

Sammy 100 Kos

Swagger,

I just finished my first Predator Bass sammy as a baby bass, and I'm going to take it swimming this week at my local pond.

I'll let you know how it works. It certainly looked perfect when I got it, smooth and finished.

Yardape,

What size hooks are you using?

I am thinking a #2 on the belly, and a #4 on the tail, to get it to sit slightly tail down.

Swagger,

I just finished my first Predator Bass sammy as a baby bass, and I'm going to take it swimming this week at my local pond.

I'll let you know how it works. It certainly looked perfect when I got it, smooth and finished.

Yardape,

What size hooks are you using?

I am thinking a #2 on the belly, and a #4 on the tail, to get it to sit slightly tail down.

Personally, I would put #4s on both, and wrap some lead on the rear treb if it wasnt sitting down properly. Don't have any experience with these KOs though.

I'm going to float the KO today, next to a store bought sammy, and see how they compare. I'll change the hook sizes until they match.

Predator Bass's KO has a cupped mouth, and an opening in the mouth, and in the two gill slits, so it will be interesting to see how that affects the action when water passes through them.

Edited by mark poulson

I'm going to float the KO today, next to a store bought sammy, and see how they compare. I'll change the hook sizes until they match.

Predator Bass's KO has a cupped mouth, and an opening in the mouth, and in the two gill slits, so it will be interesting to see how that affects the action when water passes through them.

Thanks guys, how did it go Mark? Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

Did you ever get a good comparison on these?

I did fish the KO, and it works great. It walks just as well as the original.

I'll definately be painting and throwing more of them in the future.

I didn't notice if the holes in the gills made any difference.

The walking action creates enough commotion that it's hard to see if there were bubbles generated by the holes.

I don't think the holes are really needed.

Edited by mark poulson

I did fish the KO, and it works great. It walks just as well as the original.

I'll definately be painting and throwing more of them in the future.

I didn't notice if the holes in the gills made any difference.

The walking action creates enough commotion that it's hard to see if there were bubbles generated by the holes.

I don't think the holes are really needed.

I painted a couple of those and I had some problems keeping the clear coat from clogging the gills. I use D2T, which is admittedly thick even when thinned with denatured alcohol. I have some Etex in the shop but didn't feel like worrying about the gills or that they made a whole bunch of difference. Nice baits overall. Good shallow river bait, which is where I fish 'em.

.................I don't see how a topwater KO could be bad..........

There have to be a hundred ways for any bait , including topwaters, to suck.

I remember a Cabelas walkin' dog (normally a great lure, landed a 7.5lb lm on one) I got would lay sideways in the water and just kind of flopped around when you tried to walk it. I should have known. It was on sale, and an item put on sale @ Cabela's automatically triples the defect rate. Heh. Another example would be poppers. With some you can work your full repertoire of plips, plaps, splips, spits, PLOKs, and other classic notes from timid to panic while others are one trick ponys - they only do a medium plop and dive when you get even a little agressive.