barr5150

Has Anyone Seen Crankbait Molds For Sale?

I've looked around a bit I haven't seen any for sale. Making the molds yourself doesn't appear to be all that easy and I haven't found a great deal of info on how to even do it. I know there are companies that will make cranks for you but what about just the mold?

I've looked around a bit I haven't seen any for sale. Making the molds yourself doesn't appear to be all that easy and I haven't found a great deal of info on how to even do it. I know there are companies that will make cranks for you but what about just the mold?

What do you plan to make the bait out of? If one of the resins, maybe with micrbeads for flotation you can probably make silicone molds with some success. I think one of the resin makers/sellers has some videos floating around to show how to do it.

Maybe you were thinking hard plastic injection? There are some small machines out there to do this, but the videos I have found are not very helpful. Most seem to be more geared towards solid plastics as opposed to hollow plastics or thin half shells, but they are out there. I see small plastic injection machines on Ebay from time to time.

I always thought a 4 axis wood carving operation on a small desktop CNC machine or even 3 axis if you can get your indexing right might be a fun way to roughout a bunch of crankbaits. I think Salty is trying to do that with his Bridgeport right now for "gunfish" or "vixen" type bait.

In all my years Iv only seen 1 set of factory run crankbait molds out side the factory. It was at a recycling center. They were a nice 20 peace aluminum injection mold and the center was paying by the pound more than I could afford so off they went I all most cried.

Its a long shot you could try contacting a bait company and see if they have any discontinued models that they have the mold for but like I said its a long shot.

Or do as I do make your own with RTV start out slow 1 bait 1 mold till you get it right then do a multi bait mold the most I do is 4 or 5 at a time.

Hillbilly your recent post is what sparked my intrest in pouring my own baits. AWESOME work by the way! Your video was great! I can't wait, like I'm sure alot of others on this board, for the higher quality videos. Especially the ones on making your own mold! I'm not sure I have the patience for making the molds but I'd like to try. In the mean time I thought if I could by a set and figure out how it works I'd be pretty happy. I'm not looking to start a buisness or anything, just pour a few for me and some friends.