markw

Foam Cylinders

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, but I'll try here first. I'm looking for a source of bulk foam for a line of muskie/pike accessories I'm building. What I need are foam cylinders that are the density of the good ol' flip-flop foam. I need the cylinders to be at leat 3/8 inch to 1/2" in diameter and at least 12" long.

I only need about 50' to start with, but will hopefully need quite a bit more.

In the short term I could possibly use a sheet of foam 2" thick and punch/glue them, but a cylinder would make things much easier. My kids have some building blocks that are almost exactly what I need, but I'm forbidden to use them :)

Any suggestions for the cylinders? If not for cylinders, do you know where I can get sheet of foam 2" thick?

Thank you,

Mark

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, but I'll try here first. I'm looking for a source of bulk foam for a line of muskie/pike accessories I'm building. What I need are foam cylinders that are the density of the good ol' flip-flop foam. I need the cylinders to be at leat 3/8 inch to 1/2" in diameter and at least 12" long.

I only need about 50' to start with, but will hopefully need quite a bit more.

In the short term I could possibly use a sheet of foam 2" thick and punch/glue them, but a cylinder would make things much easier. My kids have some building blocks that are almost exactly what I need, but I'm forbidden to use them :)

Any suggestions for the cylinders? If not for cylinders, do you know where I can get sheet of foam 2" thick?

Thank you,

Mark

Try Sleazy Steve's Soggy Bottom Fly Shop

I know, the name, I'd change it too but not him. He likes it.

Look at his blocks, then look at his drill punches for making cylinders, then if you plan on using a lath or drill to turn blocks into cylinders look at his brass chucks that hold foam while you are cutting it. I have used hammer punches, his drill punches and lathe turning to make foam cylinders.

Each has pros and cons.

The hammer punch makes less airborne waste which is good but the arm and table top get scored. Wife gets mad. Bad!.

The drill punches get too full, tear foam and ruin long cylinders. But they work fast.

A lathe turning down foam from rectangular blocks generates lost of crud in the air which is hard to clean up. Making foam on a lathe is hard because if you apply too much pressure, the free center (drive center) wallows out the drive and a cone forms instead of biting into the foam like wood does. Steve's brass chucks cure this problem.

Pre colored foam has its advantages, and disadvantages.

Oh another tool is the Lee Valley Veritas Dowell Maker tool. It's neat! See http://www.leevalley...cat=1,180,42288

Good luck and keep us posted.

John

I don't see that they have exactly what you're looking for, but I've had some success with American Scientific and Surplus. http://www.sciplus.com/

They're good folks who enjoy questions, such as, "I need it to be the density of a flip-flop."

They're also pretty good about pointing you to other places if they don't stock something. I'm in no way affiliated with them, just a big fan. Helps that they're only a few miles from the house - but from what I understand they do tons of online sales. Their product descriptions are pretty entertaining. I got everything to make my lure turner in one trip. Heh.

-Sam