Sign in to follow this  
benjiwhite

New To Tying

3 posts in this topic

benjiwhite    11

I tie deerhair to 1/0-5/0 saltwater hooks with a leadhead to make bucktail jigs. My question is this...What is the best thread to use for this? With so many to choose from I am kinda lost. I have purchased some danville thread from ebay a couple of years ago and all it says on the spool is danville monocord. This seems to work really well. I also tried kevlar and it's pretty tough but cuts into the hair if you're not real careful. Any help is appreciated!

Benji

bassrecord    12

I tie deerhair to 1/0-5/0 saltwater hooks with a leadhead to make bucktail jigs. My question is this...What is the best thread to use for this? With so many to choose from I am kinda lost. I have purchased some danville thread from ebay a couple of years ago and all it says on the spool is danville monocord. This seems to work really well. I also tried kevlar and it's pretty tough but cuts into the hair if you're not real careful. Any help is appreciated!

Benji

Yep thread cuts deerhair rather easily. Work around = soft loop tying technique and flat tying thread. The soft loop technique is to wrap a coat of thread on the hook shank, hold deer hair in place, wrap 3-4 wraps softly, then wrap 4-5 wraps tighter then wrap 4-5 wraps very tightly, then whip finish. Danville and UTC make a flat 3/0 thread that should work.

Good luck!

John

benjiwhite    11

Yep thread cuts deerhair rather easily. Work around = soft loop tying technique and flat tying thread. The soft loop technique is to wrap a coat of thread on the hook shank, hold deer hair in place, wrap 3-4 wraps softly, then wrap 4-5 wraps tighter then wrap 4-5 wraps very tightly, then whip finish. Danville and UTC make a flat 3/0 thread that should work.

Good luck!

John

Thanks John for the reply..every little bit helps