Edited by Swagger, 07 May 2011 - 08:35 AM.
What Process Is This?
40 replies to this topic
Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:34 AM
I was on another site and came across this picture. It wasn't painted, but it also doesn't look like it was photo finished. I'm a rookie painter and would like to just do a bait like this. Does anyone know how it was done?
Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:45 AM
I think it might be paint over foil. i saw that bait as well. Why don't you just ask the painter of the bait?
Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:10 AM
While I can't say with certainty, It could well be Photo (tissue paper) on foil and finished with an airbrush. The foil seems be applied over mesh, ala Fatfingers technique.
Whatever method the builder used, it came out great.
Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:23 PM
It looks like a plastic bait that was painted to me, a store bought bait, or one from a neat mold.
To me, it looks like they did a basic pearl silver or white base, shot some turqoise onto the upper gill plates and trailed it back onto the sides a ways, and then used solvent-based sharpies to add the yellow and brown details.
However they did it, it looks great.
Edited by mark poulson, 08 May 2011 - 02:26 PM.
Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:51 PM
Not true. It is an air brush process. If you pay close attention it becomes evident this is the case.
Edited by sallystrothers, 02 June 2011 - 07:52 PM.
Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:04 PM
It is a photo finished Pumkinseed pattern. He applies the photo on each side and then blends in the back and belly to match the baitfish.
Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:16 PM
I agree. If you read the thread on the link that pizz posted the guy that did it says he can't paint good enough to do that.
Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:17 PM
What I don't understand is how he printed into those tiny details around the gills. I don't know nor can I imagine a photofinish process that can print into those places.
Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:21 PM
I did see that, however I didn't assume it is necessarily true just because he said it. Its annoying because I have developed some good photo finish processes but not to the point that I can print into a 1/32" crack, not to mention printing around the scales while preserving that level of embossing. Although looking at it again I did just come up with an idea...
Edited by sallystrothers, 02 June 2011 - 11:22 PM.
Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:19 AM
You can take different tools to make the scales look in different shapes. The bait has a lot to do with the finished outcome on the bait. For instance, this image would not look as good on a plain rattle bait. The detail built into the bait he used, makes it come out very nice. You can take an xacto and work the image into the detailed shapes of the bait.
Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:42 AM
From my understanding of pad printing (which is limited), your average hobby pad printer can only handle 1-2 colors. When you get up to 10 colors you are talking a massive printer and my guess is the person is not using one of those.
Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:12 PM
I've never tried a photofinish of any kind, but is it possible that he used a photo printed on waterslide transfer and applied over a silver base? Whatever it is, its impressive.
Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:37 PM
Waterslide decal paper can be used but the gift tissue paper is a lot less expensive. I have started a Pumkinseed photo finish on a simular bait using the gift tissue paper and foil. I will post the results when I have it finished. Just to see what the difference might be between the two.
Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:44 PM
I read for the process to work that the surface had to be smooth......The bait that was used doesn't look smooth.....Anyone care to reply.....thanks
Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:23 PM
The lure can have built in additions on it. Whether its gill plates or vertical lines, you can work the pic to fit its shapes. I take the back of the xacto blade and work it into shape, I even use a toothpick at times. You just have to be careful not to tear the image, when smoothing it out.
A Big Thanks to Husky for sharing this technique!! I took a great picture of a threadfin shad that I caught earlier in the year and made a bait out of it, I have whacked a ton of fish on it so far this year, I cant wait to throw it this fall. It was made following Husky's tutorial with the tissue paper and foil.
Edited by Big Bass Man, 09 June 2011 - 09:28 PM.