YakAngler81

What Process Is This?

I was on another site and came across this picture. It wasn't painted, but it also doesn't look like it was photo finished. I'm a rookie painter and would like to just do a bait like this. Does anyone know how it was done?

DSC03949.jpg

Edited by Swagger

I was on another site and came across this picture. It wasn't painted, but it also doesn't look like it was photo finished. I'm a rookie painter and would like to just do a bait like this. Does anyone know how it was done?

DSC03949.jpg

While I can't say with certainty, It could well be Photo (tissue paper) on foil and finished with an airbrush. The foil seems be applied over mesh, ala Fatfingers technique.

Whatever method the builder used, it came out great.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/12000-photo-finishing-foil-and-faux-finishes/

It looks like a plastic bait that was painted to me, a store bought bait, or one from a neat mold.

To me, it looks like they did a basic pearl silver or white base, shot some turqoise onto the upper gill plates and trailed it back onto the sides a ways, and then used solvent-based sharpies to add the yellow and brown details.

However they did it, it looks great.

Edited by mark poulson

It is a photo finished Pumkinseed pattern. He applies the photo on each side and then blends in the back and belly to match the baitfish.

I agree. If you read the thread on the link that pizz posted the guy that did it says he can't paint good enough to do that.

It is a photo finished Pumkinseed pattern. He applies the photo on each side and then blends in the back and belly to match the baitfish.

What I don't understand is how he printed into those tiny details around the gills. I don't know nor can I imagine a photofinish process that can print into those places.

I agree. If you read the thread on the link that pizz posted the guy that did it says he can't paint good enough to do that.

I did see that, however I didn't assume it is necessarily true just because he said it. Its annoying because I have developed some good photo finish processes but not to the point that I can print into a 1/32" crack, not to mention printing around the scales while preserving that level of embossing. Although looking at it again I did just come up with an idea...

Edited by sallystrothers

I did see that, however I didn't assume it is necessarily true just because he said it. Its annoying because I have developed some good photo finish processes but not to the point that I can print into a 1/32" crack, not to mention printing around the scales while preserving that level of embossing. Although looking at it again I did just come up with an idea...

You can take different tools to make the scales look in different shapes. The bait has a lot to do with the finished outcome on the bait. For instance, this image would not look as good on a plain rattle bait. The detail built into the bait he used, makes it come out very nice. You can take an xacto and work the image into the detailed shapes of the bait.

[i think it was pad printed over a silver base.

From my understanding of pad printing (which is limited), your average hobby pad printer can only handle 1-2 colors. When you get up to 10 colors you are talking a massive printer and my guess is the person is not using one of those.

I've never tried a photofinish of any kind, but is it possible that he used a photo printed on waterslide transfer and applied over a silver base? Whatever it is, its impressive.

Waterslide decal paper can be used but the gift tissue paper is a lot less expensive. I have started a Pumkinseed photo finish on a simular bait using the gift tissue paper and foil. I will post the results when I have it finished. Just to see what the difference might be between the two.

I read for the process to work that the surface had to be smooth......The bait that was used doesn't look smooth.....Anyone care to reply.....thanks

Brent

The lure can have built in additions on it. Whether its gill plates or vertical lines, you can work the pic to fit its shapes. I take the back of the xacto blade and work it into shape, I even use a toothpick at times. You just have to be careful not to tear the image, when smoothing it out.

A Big Thanks to Husky for sharing this technique!! I took a great picture of a threadfin shad that I caught earlier in the year and made a bait out of it, I have whacked a ton of fish on it so far this year, I cant wait to throw it this fall. It was made following Husky's tutorial with the tissue paper and foil.

TaterHillsFoiledThreadfinShad2640x425-1.jpg

Edited by Big Bass Man

The print may have been applied in two parts.... First the body, and then the gill and head area.

As to the need to apply the method to a smooth finish, that's easy. You could simply apply a coat of envirotex, which would smooth out the surface so that the Husky Photofinish Method could be applied, while still allowing all the biat's detail to show right through the clear envirotex coating.

Of course, I'm not saying that this is the way this bait was done, but I know that I could duplicate what was done by applying the above steps to one of the baits you buy and then paint.

Here is the bait that I did in the pumkinseed pattern using Husky's tutorial with the gift tissue and foil. It is not the same pic or same bait but simular. The rattle bait I used has a little detail, but not quite as much as the one above. I purposely sprayed the bottom edges of the photo with silver because I am going to finish it with a yellow/orange mix across the belly. Spraying the edges helps hide the seams and once blended in looks great, once done with the yellow/orange, it will match the baitfish!!

I hope this helped some of you guys understand the photo finishing process!!

Here is the bait that I think Mike used for his pumkinseed in the above pos:

SPROArukuShadJR.jpg

Here is the one I painted, simular but now exact, It should look better when I blend in the belly to match the baitfish;

003-6.jpg

Edited by Big Bass Man