archeryrob

Through Wire Help

I am just getting started in this lure making thing. I am trying to make the Devil Horse lures. I went to Lowes and got some galvanized 19 gauge (1.2mm) wire. Fresh water lures, so it's OK. It's stiff enough and should hold up. I have some Rapala lures rusting so they are not using anything any better. I tested the props on them and they slide on fine.

I know how to drill through to the middle from each end and drill for the center hook hanger. Where can I get a small enough and long enough drill bit? I need a 1/16" bit about 4" long so I can put 1" or 3/4" in the drill. Any ideas? What are they using to drill these out?

Edited by archeryrob@myactv.net

JMHO, if you aren't using balsa, you don't need a thru-wire. I don't know what factory Devil's Horses are made from but they use standard screw eyes so I'm guessing some kind of hardwood. Most guys use stainless steel wire for hardware. One option in it is to get a coil of #12 Malin Stainless Leader Wire (190 lb test) from a sporting goods store, or you can order various stainless wires from McMaster-Carr. I use their soft temper stainless "Safety Wire" in .041" diameter for bass lures and twist them into home made screw eyes. Bending galvanized wire into a small diameter for a hook hanger might crack the galvanizing and lead to rusting. One big reason I build my own is to get a more durable bait, so it pays to use the best components - which are dirt cheap anyway compared to the cost of a factory bait.

I feel confident the screw eyes would work in the basswood, I just can't get the props on the screw eyes and I can get them to work on the wire. If I make any longer lures for muskie I will want the wire.

What bits is any one using for drilling out lures?

I feel confident the screw eyes would work in the basswood, I just can't get the props on the screw eyes and I can get them to work on the wire. If I make any longer lures for muskie I will want the wire.

What bits is any one using for drilling out lures?

Making the props work on screw eyes or wire shouldn't be that hard. Jansnetcraft sells cup washers. Put one cup washer on the end with the hole facing out, then put on your prop, the turn another cup washer with the hole side facing the prop. If this isn't enough to make it work jannsnetcraft also sells disc washers for spacing. I've included a couple of links. Hope this helps.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-parts/312323.aspx

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-parts/032090400002.aspx

if you want long drill bits look for Aircraft bits, they usually are around 1' long. I use an old school hand drill so the bit doesn't walk, for balsa you can just drill by hand no drill necessary.

I still think that you are heading for trouble trying to drill long holes with a 1/16" diameter bit. I would go bigger, seal the hole with epoxy and fit eyelets or cup washers to centre the wire and tidy up the ends. You need more input and advice on this.

Dave

I have the disks from Jann's but the holes in the props are too small for the screws! 19 gauge wire goes through the props, but not the screws.

I am going to look for the aircraft bits or longer ones at Fastnal or other places like this.I just figured some one else here would be make wood lures and say, get the bit "here". Or do it this way

Edited by archeryrob

I think you are making harder than it should be. Go to lure parts online and there are plastic plug inserts that you can put in your baits. You can use the screw eyes and props just like I do for my topwater propbaits, I epoxy the plug in and it is done except for yoru cup washers and props. Just don't make it harder than it has to be!

Jeff Francis

RiverValleyCranksBaits

Edited by jwfflipper

Im with Matt and rayburn just drill it but hold it with pliers or vise-grips because if the bit binds it wont be wack a mole it'll be wack a nub thats why Im known as 3 finger freedy :blink:

any who

Iv use SS wire for drill bits in balsa but that another injury for another thread :blink: