blazt*

Predator Sinking Lipless And Rc 2.5s?

Hey mark I just ordered some of the x80's does a gram of bb's make them suspend at all? And where on the body do you drill to add them? Thanks

I drill a 3/16" hole in the head, just above the gill plates.

Use a sharp Forstner bit, so you don't crack the plastic.

To seal the hole, I put some bondo, not a lot, in the middle of a small piece of masking tape, and put that over the hole, not forcing the tape down too tight. That way, I can fill the hole with the bait still upright, so the ballast balls don't get stuck in the bondo.

Afterwards, I peel off the tape, and sand off the excess bondo.

Once I've got it sanded flush, I put a small drop of crazy glue on the bondo, just enough to cover the bondo, to make it harder, and reinforce the bond to the plastic.

So far this has held up fine.

You can add as much weight as you want, so I'm sure you can make them suspend. Mine suspend sometimes in warmer water.

I put on the hooks and split rings, and add my ballast, and then cover the hole with masking tape to float tank test (a five gallon water bucket) the baits and determine how the bait will sit. I use Createx and urethane, so the paint scheme doesn't weigh enough to change things much.

If you use epoxy, it may make a difference.

Just be sure the BBs are at least as big as the two ballast balls that come with the bait, or they will pass all the way to the tail, and be trapped.

I found that out when I tried to use some small glass beads instead of BBs.

I try to make them float head down, at a 30 degree+- angle, with the top of the tail up out of the water, and use the size of my hooks and spit rings to make them suspend, if needed.

The head down helps the bait to get started down right away on the first jerk, and I think it looks better on the pause. They are so erratic that it probably doesn't matter, but that's just my thing.

Edited by mark poulson

Hey guy's

I have been doing some major testing the last few days and am weeding out anything that does not work well, so far I am having trouble with the lipless floaters so I would not recomend those right now.

The 2.5 has a tighter wobble then a rc 2.5

I am having new RC1.5 and RC2.5 molds made.

The sinking rattle trap is a killer lure, you will be very happy with that.

I am not possitive on the sink rate, maybe a 1' a second ? I will have to test that.

I hope the 130mm sammy will be here next week.

Edited by Predator Bass Baits

I am one of Jim's larger customers and have purchased and sold hundreds of his baits. First off he is a ROCK SOLID person to deal with, he has the integrity to NOT sell you something not running correctly, has VERY fair prices. His eye selection is exceptional. He also carries split rings and his oval split rings are some of the best I have found. If you are not buying from Jim you are messing up great product great value and a super guy what else do you want. Thanks for the Superior service Jim!!! Tony R

I am one of Jim's larger customers and have purchased and sold hundreds of his baits. First off he is a ROCK SOLID person to deal with, he has the integrity to NOT sell you something not running correctly, has VERY fair prices. His eye selection is exceptional. He also carries split rings and his oval split rings are some of the best I have found. If you are not buying from Jim you are messing up great product great value and a super guy what else do you want. Thanks for the Superior service Jim!!! Tony R

X2 I'm just a small guy, not a hundreds of baits buyer, but Jim has given me excellent, personal service. He's #1 in my book.

Edited by mark poulson

I have used and will continue to use Jim's baits and I agree that his service is top notch.

What I will mention is that if you wish to buy baits to paint and resale just be prepared to do some sanding and prep on the cheaper ones. THEY ARE CHEAPER FOR A REASON! ? Now when i say cheaper I mean the ones under or around a buck. But with some sanding on the seems mainly and some on the bill they are usually pretty good to go. I have never had one I couldnt tune to run straight. For that to happen there would have to be a major defect with the bill or balast.

I just hope Jim gets the newer ABS Plastic ones that have been popping up like the RC 2.5. The quality on them is very good and they run great. Just please ditch the square bill with balast hole it drives me nuts! lol....sorry just a pet peeve of mine!

I love the pointer 100's and x80 that you sell. Could you get a better round split ring. The round ones seem like they are very low quality and I have straightened a couple by getting snagged up.

I'm actually glad to here this. I just ordered some 5mm ones...and I'd rather lose a split ring and hook than a lure, unless they are really weak.

Is it true the 2.5 actually runs better with the bill corners filed round?

I have used and will continue to use Jim's baits and I agree that his service is top notch.

What I will mention is that if you wish to buy baits to paint and resale just be prepared to do some sanding and prep on the cheaper ones. THEY ARE CHEAPER FOR A REASON! ? Now when i say cheaper I mean the ones under or around a buck. But with some sanding on the seems mainly and some on the bill they are usually pretty good to go. I have never had one I couldnt tune to run straight. For that to happen there would have to be a major defect with the bill or balast.

I just hope Jim gets the newer ABS Plastic ones that have been popping up like the RC 2.5. The quality on them is very good and they run great. Just please ditch the square bill with balast hole it drives me nuts! lol....sorry just a pet peeve of mine!

Too bad most of those jerks are too light. I hate throwing a jerkbait on spinning gear. I would have got some 100 kos, but those are sinkers. Didn't want to take a chance on the "Predator jerk" .

I also like his Megabass X80 jerkbait KO. I add about a gram of BBs to the weight transfer, and it runs down 2-3'. Very erratic action. Good bait.

Too bad most of those jerks are too light. I hate throwing a jerkbait on spinning gear. I would have got some 100 kos, but those are sinkers. Didn't want to take a chance on the "Predator jerk" .

Email me your name you use on paypal and I will ship you 2 of the predator jerk to try out.

Have you tried the sinking one ?

Edited by Predator Bass Baits

I can get thicker split rings.

I have not done alot of testing yet on the square bill but will.

I rounded the bill and tested the one lure and all was fine, I did have to tune it a tad.

I will clear some tonight and try them tomorrow.

I'm unclear about why rounding the bill is necessary.

How does that affect the action of the lures?

X2 I'm just a small guy, not a hundreds of baits buyer, but Jim has given me excellent, personal service. He's #1 in my book.

X3 on that I get 10 here or 10 there and the service I got was by far the best I sent jim a TY email on my first order and what do you know he mailed me back the other place I was getting my eyes from never Emailed me back :blink:

AS for the floating lips I got a few and with very little tweaking they were good to :D

Edited by hillbilly1

I'm unclear about why rounding the bill is necessary.

How does that affect the action of the lures?

Mark, it is just for looks, some guys do not like the looks of the bill and the screw in plug to change the rattles, I can understand the looks but the options it has out weights that but the fisherman is a mighty picky individual. :)