Wooly

Custom Weedguard Question

Quick question for weedguards on finesse jigs -- Are you guys using 1/16 or 5/64 for your finesse jigs? I am leaning towards 1/16, however I am not sure which fiber diameter I should request from Kayser products. Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,

Wooly,

First of all on all of my jigs I use the .018 diameter weedguard. If I want it stiffer I put on more starnds if I want it more pliable I use less. All of my regular jigs with the 1/8" weedguard hole I use 15 strands. I do not like stiff weedguards. If you have any of these weedguards at home, you don't have to buy any, just remove the strands you want. On an 1/8" weedguard, there are 31 (.018) diameter strands. This is the way I do it, I'm not saying I'm right. As far as weedguards go it all depends on what you like to fish with. Hope this helps.

So let me get this straight :-) -- On 1/8 weedguard hole you are removing 16 strands from the original weedguard of 31 ( 15 strands ) --0.18 strand diameter . If you are reducing the overall diameter of the bundle -- doesn't it fit loose in the weedguard hole of 1/8 -- is there a gap appearance ?

thanks for the input !!!!!

So let me get this straight :-) -- On 1/8 weedguard hole you are removing 16 strands from the original weedguard of 31 ( 15 strands ) --0.18 strand diameter . If you are reducing the overall diameter of the bundle -- doesn't it fit loose in the weedguard hole of 1/8 -- is there a gap appearance ?

if you use an epoxy to glue your weedguard in it will fill the "hole" and still be able to fit snug

Yes, there is a gap, and believe me I never had a problem selling jigs this way I have sold literally thousands with this method. It's not a secret it's just the way that I sell my jigs. RR316 is correct if you use epoxy it will fill the hole. I use loctite gel super glue, and I put in a little extra and the fibers do not come out. Even if you see a little hole, it doesn't hurt anything. Also I center my weedguard around the hole so it looks even.

Edited by cadman

Wooly for the smaller jigs I taper down my pin slot with duct tape and use electrical wiring for pins. I buy fg 12 from Ztackle and don't have to do the seperating thingy. It is a bit more costly but I am not in the selling business so I don't use more than a hundred or so each year.

Edited by Jig Man