bassrecord

Who Dips Color Coats?

Who dips color undercoats? What brand or brands of paint do you use for your dipping?

Just doing a survey on dipping into anything under a top coat.

Thanks.

John

I was spraying, but recently I have tried dipping with Craetix Opaque White. I do believe the results are better. I am using the Opaque white because I bought a big bottle thining it was going to be great base coat after reading the label, but I find it to be to translucent and requires to many coats (anyone else find this).

Even after dipping I spray a thin white coat of Creatix Wicked White. A little more work on my sealing method and this and I believe I will get that perfect finish I have been going for...... <_< Tis the plan anyways

I was spraying, but recently I have tried dipping with Craetix Opaque White. I do believe the results are better. I am using the Opaque white because I bought a big bottle thining it was going to be great base coat after reading the label, but I find it to be to translucent and requires to many coats (anyone else find this).

Even after dipping I spray a thin white coat of Creatix Wicked White. A little more work on my sealing method and this and I believe I will get that perfect finish I have been going for...... <_< Tis the plan anyways

Thank you. This type of information is what I was looking for but I did not expect your answer. You say Createx's opaque white is too translucent? And it requires too many base coat dipping coats or too many air brush color coats? Did you dip your wood or plastic lure into Opaque Creatix first or into a sanding sealer or some other type sealer first?

Thanks again.

John

Thank you. This type of information is what I was looking for but I did not expect your answer. You say Createx's opaque white is too translucent? And it requires too many base coat dipping coats or too many air brush color coats? Did you dip your wood or plastic lure into Opaque Creatix first or into a sanding sealer or some other type sealer first?

Thanks again.

John

There are so many ways to do this. Sanding sealer, then dip, then paint.

I have found what works best for me (and I make all my lures out of eastern red cedar) is after turned and sanded on the lathe, then all holes drilled out; I dip in a white base color by Rustoleum plain flat white 7590. After drying for at least a day, then I air brush and seal with Etex for a topcoat. I don't even use a sanding sealer anymore.

Benji

Thanks again.

John

I seal with D2T then dip once. I do not have a turner yet so i let the lure hang by one end for about 5 minutes, then flip it so the paint starts running back to the other end. Next day i give it a very light sand and spary.

I have tried 2 and 3 dips, but never seems to completely hide the wood. I'm not really sure why. I just want to use up what I bought, then will dip with something else.

If you are looking for a white basecoat that covers well, I can recommend Polytranspar Super Hide White airbrush paint. It has lots of pigment to hide wood grain, etc, and it dries very quickly to a hard gloss surface. I spray mine in 2 thin coats and it does the job. Dipping would probably do it in one shot. Most airbrush paint companies have a white paint with lots of pigment intended for color basecoating. It may be called Super Hide, Cover White, or whatever.

From my experience dipping a base coat creates some clear coat problems with resin made cranks. For some reason if you dip a resin bait with white paint and clear it with Devcon the 2-ton will bubble on you when the bait gets wet. It doesn't seem to matter how well you heat set or how long the clear is allowed to dry. Furthermore DN will peel the paint right off the bait. I can spray a white base with the exact same paint on a resin bait and use 2-ton or DN w/o any problems whatsoever. I'm not sure what the difference is but keep this in mind if your using this type of crank.