sportsfisher

Wooden Lure Blanks?

hello,

probably a strange question, but are there any wooden lure blanks available to buy?

ive seen plenty of 'half made' blanks, that are just turned down on a lathe, but i want something all ready for painting. or at least pre shaped, i can fit the lip and eyes.

really only after small minnows 2" to 4", jointed or not.

thanks

Edited by sportsfisher
  • Like 1

hello,

probably a strange question, but are there any wooden lure blanks available to buy?

ive seen plenty of 'half made' blanks, that are just turned down on a lathe, but i want something all ready for painting. or at least pre shaped, i can fit the lip and eyes.

really only after small minnows 2" to 4", jointed or not.

thanks

Yes Jans Netcraft has them and also I think barlows

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wooden-bodies-blocks/

Yes, Janns Netcraft carries unfinished wood and plastic crankbaits, plus various lips. When you buy balsa bodies from any source, they are usually roto-shaped and coated with some sanding sealer. You'll need to sand them smooth, add a durable undercoating, and cut the lip slot before painting them. Cutting a straight lip slot is not hard on a flat sided bait but it can be a challenge on a fat rounded body.

Lurecraft.com has them too if jannsnetcraft doesnt have the one your looking for they might have some ones that are different but jannsnetcraft is where I would look first

Isnt lurecraft the one in Canada that charges an arm and a leg for shipping? and like $15 restocking fee once you find out what shipping is after you have paid? Dont know if its the same on but i have just heard some horror stories about that place.

Isnt lurecraft the one in Canada that charges an arm and a leg for shipping? and like $15 restocking fee once you find out what shipping is after you have paid? Dont know if its the same on but i have just heard some horror stories about that place.

http://www.lurecraft.com/content/page.cfm/shipping-details

I've seen some on British Ebay the other day , ..........looks like that vendor is permanently listing some in there :

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lure+blanks&_sacat=See-All-Categories

greetz , diemai :yay:

PS :

Just checked out US Ebay , ...even more listed there :

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lure+blanks&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Edited by diemai

You considered just making the bodies yourself? I just stated doing this also. I made some spooks and now working on Smithwick Devil horses. I have not progressed yet to making lips and crankbaits yet, but I will. I am just splitting Basswood buy hand with an hand axe and a hammer, cutting to length with a saw and sanding to shape on a table top belt sander. I am not interested making them fast, just making my own. I am sure I will have more than I can loose. :)

This is all I use except for a hand file, sheet sand paper and a saw. Now I started with a old miter saw hand saw and am cutting the slot for the through wire.

SpookBlanks-Sander.jpg

My blanks ready for epoxy or glue to fix the wire and wood filler.

Devilhorsethroughwire3.jpg

You can do it all. It's just how much time you're willing to spend on it.

Edited by archeryrob

You considered just making the bodies yourself?

thanks archeryrob,

i have thought about it, ive never atempted it, so i would rather buy if i can get them (at an affordable price :lol: )

you, and a few others ive spoken too, have given me a bit more confidence to try it though.

its very hard trying to find these smaller sized lures and/or components, everything seems to be too big for me!:rolleyes:

thanks !

This is about what I got and it's $119 US

Table top belt sander

I took the entire side sander off as it just seemed to get in my way and actual bent, it's a cheap sander, I got what I paid for. I have a Ryobi and it has a rubber toothed belt and I have spare. They hold up fine IF you don't bare down on it. You can tell when you are as the belt starts moving to one side. My kids use it and they do and destroy belt because they don't have an patience yet. But they are cheap and the shipping costs more than two belts.

This is like what you want to do? The little one is probably what you want? It's 1 3/4" and I catch small Bass and even got a 15" walleye on it trying to dig out some large panfish. These are just starters I have not had time to mess up learning on crankbaits. :lol:

RapalaBlanks.jpg

Edited by archeryrob

This is about what I got and it's $119 US

Table top belt sander

I took the entire side sander off as it just seemed to get in my way and actual bent, it's a cheap sander, I got what I paid for. I have a Ryobi and it has a rubber toothed belt and I have spare. They hold up fine IF you don't bare down on it. You can tell when you are as the belt starts moving to one side. My kids use it and they do and destroy belt because they don't have an patience yet. But they are cheap and the shipping costs more than two belts.

This is like what you want to do? The little one is probably what you want? It's 1 3/4" and I catch small Bass and even got a 15" walleye on it trying to dig out some large panfish. These are just starters I have not had time to mess up learning on crankbaits. :lol:

RapalaBlanks.jpg

yes, thats like what i want, i was thinking of buying/making copies of rapala original f5, f7, and maybe f9

sounds like if i want to have a go i will need to invest in a belt sander,

thanks for the advice.

You considered just making the bodies yourself? I just stated doing this also. I made some spooks and now working on Smithwick Devil horses. I have not progressed yet to making lips and crankbaits yet, but I will. I am just splitting Basswood buy hand with an hand axe and a hammer, cutting to length with a saw and sanding to shape on a table top belt sander. I am not interested making them fast, just making my own. I am sure I will have more than I can loose. :) This is all I use except for a hand file, sheet sand paper and a saw. Now I started with a old miter saw hand saw and am cutting the slot for the through wire. SpookBlanks-Sander.jpg My blanks ready for epoxy or glue to fix the wire and wood filler. Devilhorsethroughwire3.jpg You can do it all. It's just how much time you're willing to spend on it.
"how much time" and Money, your willing to spend.

yes, thats like what i want, i was thinking of buying/making copies of rapala original f5, f7, and maybe f9

sounds like if i want to have a go i will need to invest in a belt sander,

thanks for the advice.

You can save yourself some money and just buy a good knife and some sandpaper. Then just carve out your shape and sand. Plus, you can stick all of that in your pocket so when you go visit the inlaws, or you're sitting on the deck with a cold beer, etc., you can carve out a couple of baits. If you are hesitant to carve your own, I posted a tutorial a while back in the tutorials section that will give you some guidance. It's really pretty easy. The hard part about carving your own is putting the knife down once you get started.

Gene

• Like 1

Don't use the belt sander inside unless you're not worried a saw dust film everywhere. :D

I do it in my detached garage, then use a shop vac and leaf blower to clean it all out. It can be a mess!

I agree. Belt sanders, and sanding in general, makes tons of dust that raises hell with my sinuses.

I always wear a dust mask when I'm sanding.

The Rigid ocillating belt sander I use has a dust extraction port on the back, for hooking up a vac while i'm sanding, and I never sand without it.

Gene, with friends like you..... Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson

I use one of those clip on respirators from Lowes. As shown below. It does not bother me a lot, but it messes with your sinuses and lungs. even if your not allergic it will make you flem more.

I used to make American Indian bows, hence the screen name. I would work with Osage which is a yellow orange wood. Just using a draw knife and a farriers rasp would leave me kleenex with yellow/orange stuff from my nose. That is when I figured the mask would be a good idea.

Air-Purifying_Respirator.jpg

Edited by archeryrob

Is that Osage as in the Osage orange tree?

Fruit wood is very oily, as are most hardwoods. The oil in the sawdust is very allergic, and the oil in walnut can actually give you a rash on your arms.

I worked on a family room for six weeks, building solid walnut cabinets, a bar, and paneling the walls. By the end of the day, my finger tips would be black from the oil, and I would have to use Neosynefren nose drops to clean out the black sawdust, even though we wore dust masks.

Yeah definitely should wear respatory protection when sanding. The wood I use is a known carcinagen in dust form(i dont think thats spelled right :nuhuh: ) and if I sand just a little without a mask i can feel it. After about an hour of sanding the dust starts irratating my eyes too. Eye protection is also a good idea.