jigpitcher

Dn Question

I've got 2 bottles of 2oz DN's on the way. Since it will be to small of a bottle to dip, what would be the best way to apply it? Brush it on or could you pour it over your baits (with another container under it to catch the excess)? Thanks in advance

I would brush it on with a soft brush, then hang it up by the lip. Any extra finish will drip off the tail. If you let DN pool anywhere on a bait, it can cause the paint to bubble and peel, so getting rid of any excess finish is important. If you pour it on a bait, you are exposing the DN to atmospheric moisture, which will cause it to begin curing in the storage container.

Brush it for sure. This is what I've been doing since I got my sample jar almost 2 months ago. Brushing it on is a little tricky. It can start to get gummy and stringy within less than a minute. Put too much on or brush too long and you'll get sags and/ or brush marks. 24 hours or more between coats. I've tried faster recoat times - once I melted the first coat. Friday bubbles developed within an hour on the back when I recoated after maybe 2 hours, when most of the solvent had flashed off and it was dry to the touch. This stuff takes a little bit of skill and experience. I put two sheet metal screws in the jar - one to pour, one for air. Never opened the lid. So far so excellent, but the rubber washers are starting to melt a little. Best to get the chemical resistant kind.

Brush it for sure. This is what I've been doing since I got my sample jar almost 2 months ago. Brushing it on is a little tricky. It can start to get gummy and stringy within less than a minute. Put too much on or brush too long and you'll get sags and/ or brush marks. 24 hours or more between coats. I've tried faster recoat times - once I melted the first coat. Friday bubbles developed within an hour on the back when I recoated after maybe 2 hours, when most of the solvent had flashed off and it was dry to the touch. This stuff takes a little bit of skill and experience. I put two sheet metal screws in the jar - one to pour, one for air. Never opened the lid. So far so excellent, but the rubber washers are starting to melt a little. Best to get the chemical resistant kind.

I have read a million threads on DN and this is the first one that said that it gets stringy and gummy.....must less in a minute.....Also i have never read that the rubber washer melts when you tap the keg. If it melts on a sample jar ....what would it do on a quart......I've never used it before so i am interested if anyone else has had this problem....

Brent

DN starts curing in a hurry when exposed to air, the more humid the faster it cures. If you are brushing be sure to make it quick and not to thick. I always wait 24hrs for a follow up coat, however I only dip my baits because it is nearly foolproof!

I've brush coated literally thousands of baits with DN. Not once have I had it get gummy or stringy. If not using bloxygen it will indeed begin to cure 'thicken' I pour appeox the amount I will use into a spray paint can bottom flipped upside down. Then brush on to baits, if your DN is getting thick it can be thinned with Acetone but if it is thickening in the storage bottle then the curing process has begun and the working life of what's left in the storage bottle is almost up.

I've brush coated literally thousands of baits with DN. Not once have I had it get gummy or stringy. If not using bloxygen it will indeed begin to cure 'thicken' I pour appeox the amount I will use into a spray paint can bottom flipped upside down. Then brush on to baits, if your DN is getting thick it can be thinned with Acetone but if it is thickening in the storage bottle then the curing process has begun and the working life of what's left in the storage bottle is almost up.

Could be that it's starting to cure in the jar, hopefully not - viscosity seems about the same as when new.