dochollow

Heating Hst

I use a mini propane torch, shown in this pic.

tools.jpg

Heat guns work, but I do not possess one. Candle or lighter can be used, but is difficult to control the shrink.

A hair dryer will not generate enough heat to get the job done.

Dave

thank you vodkaman :D

thank you vodkaman :D

Dave,

Do you know the wattage of the hair dryer you have tried? Mine is something like 1500 watts and it has more than enough juice to form my clear HST. The stuff you have is quite different, although I think the shrink temps are close to the same.

Dave,

Do you know the wattage of the hair dryer you have tried? Mine is something like 1500 watts and it has more than enough juice to form my clear HST. The stuff you have is quite different, although I think the shrink temps are close to the same.

Sorry, no idea. I just remember that it would not touch it.

Dave

Ya dave my hair drier would touch my stuff either and I use the clear. but the HD is older and not very powerful i imagine.

I checked the other day...mine is 1250 watts. Older model. Is the clear HST you use the plasticky kind or the rubbery pvc kind? I'm wondering if my hd will do the job when I finally get some better HST.

I bought some 22mm black HST from harbor frt the other day and tested it out on a Predator rattlebait. I was able to get it to shrink down tightly enough to imprint the scale and gill detail, but melted the bait and expanded the air inside so that it now looks like a bluegill full of eggs. I actually can't wait to see how it swims if at all. But I held the dryer about 1/4" away from the HST, holding on one section at a time before moving to the next. Maybe there's a fine line here on which I can get good results, or maybe the HD is too slow and will result in the heat penetrating too deeply no matter what. I probably need to get some junky blanks from Predator to practice on - I hate to ruin another.

I bought some 22mm black HST from harbor frt the other day and tested it out on a Predator rattlebait. I was able to get it to shrink down tightly enough to imprint the scale and gill detail, but melted the bait and expanded the air inside so that it now looks like a bluegill full of eggs. I actually can't wait to see how it swims if at all. But I held the dryer about 1/4" away from the HST, holding on one section at a time before moving to the next. Maybe there's a fine line here on which I can get good results, or maybe the HD is too slow and will result in the heat penetrating too deeply no matter what. I probably need to get some junky blanks from Predator to practice on - I hate to ruin another.

You might try drilling a small hole in the bait before you start shrinking the HST with the heat gun. The bait blowing up is caused by the air trapped inside getting hot and expanding. A small hole drilled into the bait will let the hot air out and should keep the bait from blowing up.