sportsfisher

Scales In Foil?

hello,

im foiling a smooth sided lure (no scales), and i would like to have a scale pattern in the foil. i could paint a scale pattern but i would rather a indented texture to the suface of the foil.

has anyone got a technique to get a scale pattern onto foil, when applying to a smooth surface.?

One way is to roll the foil (after applying it to the bait) with the handle of a socket wrench or some other type of tool with the diamond hatch pattern molded into it. Below is one I did with the knurled handle of a hobby knife. Depending upon the type of knurling done on whatever tool you use you can make the "scales" bigger or smaller.

Ben

Rapala DT10 Perch Pattern on DD22 001.jpg

post-21848-0-19144000-1305470649_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayburnGuy

Like he said, I basically use the bar from my dumbbells , it has the same kind of diamond pattern as most tools but bigger.

I've also used regular netting which i pressed in to the foil real hard leaving the indent.

plugjes.png?t=1305491922

• Like 1

If its a soft sub strait (wood or PVC) for larger scales I use a acid brush handle that I formed to the profile of a scale just press to do one at a time and for smaller scales the twist end of a Exacto knife works well or the quick connect for a air compressor sometimes all tree work for a plastic bait if you foil it good.

The one scale press :blink:

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

baits2.jpg

post-15798-0-50145800-1305494223_thumb.jpg

Shhhh! I don't want my wife to hear this. But, sneak into the kitchen and get your wife's pasta machine. Get a strip of foil, some tulle (netting) cut a little wider than the foil, and a piece of cardboard from a cereal box, beer carton, etc. Set the pasta machine on the thinnest setting that you can. Place the foil on top of the cardboard and then the netting on top of the foil. Crank the three together through the pasta machine and you have foil scales. Cut your lure pattern out of the foil, stick it to your lure, rub the foil into place gently with your fingers, and the burnish the edges of the foil. I demo this process at the TU Get-together and guys there, I believe, were impressed.

Gene

my favorite thing to use so far is a large bolt. I've also used various files, shallot packaging, tubular cherry tomato webbing wrapped around a rattle can (you can use different diameter cans for different sized scales), different screens for porches, the inside of old auto tail lenses, old glass bottles with patterns that I found at the river, etc,etc. Lots of options. The below link, shows details of how I foil and make patterns.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=122766

my favorite thing to use so far is a large bolt. I've also used various files, shallot packaging, tubular cherry tomato webbing wrapped around a rattle can (you can use different diameter cans for different sized scales), different screens for porches, the inside of old auto tail lenses, old glass bottles with patterns that I found at the river, etc,etc. Lots of options. The below link, shows details of how I foil and make patterns.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=122766

Nice tutorial.

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite 'scale roller' for bass baits is the little knurled screw bolt on a pair of standard Vise Grips. There are only a few lines of knurling around the bolt but it gives a nice pattern on small bass baits and only takes a couple of minutes to do. You just have to try different knurled handles until you find the one you like the best.