kvillebasser

Tony Christian

I was wondering if anybody has kept up with Tony Christian getting DQ'd from two FLW tour tournaments this year. Does anybody know the truth about what happened in those two tournaments?

FLW's own website is allowing people to post messages on their discussion board that are very slanderous of Tony, yet FLW will not comment on the DQ's to clear the air. I dont understand FLW.....they wont say anything about what happened themselves, but they'll let people post on their website very bad accusations and rumors of what happened. I dont think FLW wants to stop the bad rumors.

I feel like FLW is not professional in reporting the in's and out's of a DQ, if for no other reason to uphold the integrity of the tournaments that they hold, and second, if the bad rumors I read on Bassfan.com and FLW are not true, why doesn't Tony come out and set the record straight in a public forum.....like bassfan.com?

Found this today on Bassfan.com

Christian Speaks 3/8/2004

Tony Christian says he thought long and hard about whether to say anything about his day 2 DQ at the Atchafalaya Basin FLW and the subsequent rumors. He's now decided to address the rumors, but won't say much beyond that.

"I just want to say that those rumors are a crock," he said. "The people saying that stuff are stupid, and it's ridiculous. If it's not boxes, it's drums or divers. I've had enough of it. They're all wrong about all of that.

"That's all I want to say because no matter what I say about this, people will have their own opinions about it anyway. Even if (FLW Outdoors) comes out and says that 'Tony had his vest undone and we had an argument about it' or something, (some) people will say that's not true because they'll believe what they want to believe. And the sad thing is, they're talking about things they have no knowledge about at all.

"All these rumors have hurt me and my fishing career tremendously. It's a shame people can say things like this without any shred of proof and get away with it. I saw a lawyer and he said I couldn't do anything about it. How would you feel?

"If I had 100 of (the rumor-mongers) out here and could have 2 minutes with each one of them, going at it with them, I'd feel so much better. At least I'd have some satisfaction. They might get me, but I'll at least get some of them too."

He added: "In all fairness, some people said some nice things, and I do appreciate it."

Some questions remain:

> Does he wish FLW Outdoors would release the details of his DQ at Atchafalaya? Yes, he said.

> Does he know exactly what part of Rule No. 7 he was DQd for? No, he said.

> Has he asked FLW Outdoors about that? Yes, he said.

> Is he permitted to fish FLW Outdoors events? That seems unclear, but FLW Outdoors returned his membership money and his deposits for its tournament circuits.

Even though parts of the letter from FLW Outdoors president Charlie Hoover to Christian have been on the web, Christian said he'd prefer that the text not be reproduced here. But BassFan.com has seen the letter and it gives no details about why Christian was DQd or why his deposits were returned.

As far as saying anything more, Christian said: "I just came to the conclusion that it's my business and no one else's, and that's the way I'm looking at it now. I tried to be nice with reporters, but the things I said in articles people used against me. It's just best to keep your mouth shut. That's why it's so hard for people to talk to reporters. It makes you want to clam up in a corner and not say anything."

FLW Outdoors said in the past that it will not address any questions about the Tony Christian matter, and it reiterated that today.

If I had his record and was asked to stop fishing I would not go down without a fight. This guy has had what might be the best run in tournament fishing history and is told that he can't fish any longer because of two broken rules? I thought the DQ's were his punishment? I think there is more to this than FLW or Tony want us to know. There is not a fishing publication out there that would not want to interview him for his side of the story and the only place that has this is on BASSFAN? I have been following his career and was proud of the fact that he was from Georgia but after all the rumors, it just breaks my heart. If the rumors are not true he needs to stand up and fight them! The sad thing is, we will prabably never know. I saved up and was planning on fishing an entire season of the BFL this year. I fished Seminole earlier this year and to be quite honest with you I had a hard time sending my money to the FLW because of this situation. I am not saying that he is guilty of any thing but I think that FLW is sending out the wrong message by sweeping this under the rug. Because of the amount of money involved(payouts and entry fees) they need to clear him or use him as an example.

Markell, I totaly agree with you. I fish the BFL Seminole Division also and didnt know anything about this until last weekend. I drew out with another tallahasseean who was filling me in on the St. Johns Tournament.

FLW needs to come clean. If TC was totally innocent he should at the very least tell us what he was DQ'd For.

Rick

This is not the first time something has been swept under the rug. FLW & BASS have both done it in the past. While we're on this subject, I've heard for years that Bill Dance was DQ'd from BASS. If you'll notice they give him very little credit. Anyone know if this is true? I'm not a Dance fan but have always wondered if this was just a rumor or was a coverup.