psilvers

Ctreatex Paints On Jigs- Different Question

I have tried to put Createx paints on jigs that have a powder paint base. After putting the createx on and letting it dry about an hour, I heated the jigs briefly with a heat gun. I diddn't get them very hot, but they were heated a bit. Then I tried to coat with CSI Seal Coat. The paint ran a bit. Not a lot, but the Createx (red) was going on over a white base and I could see a red tinge over the white parts of the jig. Can anyone help here?

I know you have to heat set the Createx, and the jigs were pretty warm, but not for long. Was my problem that the Createx wasn't properly set? If so, does anyone have a protocol for baking the Createx so that I can have an accurate idea of how hot and for how long to heat the jigs?

Thanks,

Pete

I use Createx and I can say that when I heat set them, I'm not heating them very high - a quick hit with a heat gun. Just enough to draw the moisture from the paint. Then I clearcoat them cold.

The heads aren't hot when I spray either.

That said, I go over raw lead instead of powder paint.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try heating to 275 or so for a little while in a toaster oven.

Pete

Reading those instructions, you should not get the jig that hot, only use air coming out of the gun at 300 degrees, and only heat the jig warm to the touch.

I will heat the oven and put several jigs in and remove them at various times to see how long they can stay in without getting overheated. Those that look reasonable will be clear coated to determine the time needed for a heat set using a 275 degree oven. It will take a while to get to 275. If they start to burn, I will turn the heat down on the next few jigs. It does take a while for the temperature of the jig to be equal with that of the surroundings. Eventually, that wil give me a time and temp for baking. That is also assuming that Createx CAN be used with CSI Seal Coat. The Seal Coat might be incompatible with Createx.

Seal coat works OK with createx. But it is not durable. Try Dick Nites Clear Coat

Do not over heat the createx. You only need to use a hairdryer for a minute or so.

Using a heat gun you need to be careful.

The heating is just to get the paint to flash or dry some or most of the water in the paint.

I use it over CURED powder paint. Don't re-heat in oven after the water based paint.

Edited by DUCBOS

Thanks Ducbos. I did use the heat gun just a bit. In fact, the jig was hotter than it would have been with a hair dryer, but the paint still bled a bit. I am going to try another brand of acrylic paint.

I hope you got through the tornadoes OK.

Pete

AU '96

War Eagle! Roll Tide!

Heat setting Createx is NOT just to dry the paint, remove the moisture or flash off any type of solvents. Createx is actually a T-shirt paint and has to be heat set to make it actually cure. It has something to do with what happens to the paint on a molecular level that causes it to bind together. Below are direct quotes from their application guide.

" Createx Airbrush Colors are not cured after drying, heat is required "

" Heat Gun: apply heat at a low to mid-temperature setting no more than 300°F. Keep air moving to avoid blistering. Apply heat until paint is warm to the touch "

If your only applying enough heat to just dry the paint then your not getting it to a full cure state. I have no idea if Createx will still bleed in the situation that was described, but was only hoping to straighten out any misconceptions about Createx paints.

Ben

Last night I brushed on some other acrylic that I bought at an art store. I painted several jigs and I will bake them at 250 and remove them at various times. After I clear coat, I will see whether this paint bleeds. When I used the Createx the jig was heated so that it was warm to the touch. The paint should have been heat set, but either it wasn't heated long enough or hot enough--- or the Createx is not compatible with CSI Clear Coat.

I will post the results (including the paint brand) after I try it.

Pete

I actually did not try the different times. Rather, I baked a couple of jigs at 250 degrees (read by oven thermometer, NOT dial) and coated them with CSI Clear Coat and they were OK. I also tried a paint by Golden - it was more expensive but I like it better. I got the Golden Acrylic at Utrecht Art Supply, but I have seen these paints in either Hobby Lobby or Michael's - I forget which. If you buy the Golden acrylic you will need to thin it if you want to spray with an airbrush. Utrecht has the thinner. BTW, they are on line.

Pete

I should have mentioned that I baked the jigs at 25o degrees for 20 minutes. I didn't put the time in my post above. I did not check to see whether a shorter time would have worked. BTW, the Golden acrylic was allowed to air dry for 24 hours before baking. I also coated a couple of jigs that were painted with the Golden acrylic paint that were NOT baked - they did not seem to to bleed at all. Note that the color was Cadmium Red (or something like that) - I am assuming that different colors may have different properties.

Pete