aussielad

Ball Bearing Swivels

If you are buying directly from Worth then you are getting the best price, the swivels picture in the ling that are 20 for 2 bucks aren't worth the trouble. They must be coming from the same manufacturer because every imported cheap swivel I've tried looks exactly the same and the ones that weren't bad from the start eventually went bad after a short time in use, do yourself a favor and stay with Worth or Sampo, they are expensive but the uality is unmatched and your baits will perform better longer. When I get low I get the #2 BB swivel from Worth without split rings and then buy the split rings seperately and I get them From Worth also, it is a little extra work but it isn't hard and it saves over 100 bucks on a thousand swivels.

If you are buying directly from Worth then you are getting the best price, the swivels picture in the ling that are 20 for 2 bucks aren't worth the trouble. They must be coming from the same manufacturer because every imported cheap swivel I've tried looks exactly the same and the ones that weren't bad from the start eventually went bad after a short time in use, do yourself a favor and stay with Worth or Sampo, they are expensive but the uality is unmatched and your baits will perform better longer. When I get low I get the #2 BB swivel from Worth without split rings and then buy the split rings seperately and I get them From Worth also, it is a little extra work but it isn't hard and it saves over 100 bucks on a thousand swivels.

I don't seem to be very handy with these swivels. What I am referring to is when I want to replace the rear blade on a spinnerbait. I can use my split ring pliers OK to get the blade off but I usually am unable to put the split ring back on if I take it off. If I get the pliers to open the split ring It seems impossible to insert it into the hole in the swivel. It rotates but it also seems to slide into the barrel and then the hole is reduced or hidden . I can' seem to hold the portion with the hole still and solid while I try to install the split ring. Is there a technique that I am not aware of that makes this easier?

Thanks,

Steve

I don't seem to be very handy with these swivels. What I am referring to is when I want to replace the rear blade on a spinnerbait. I can use my split ring pliers OK to get the blade off but I usually am unable to put the split ring back on if I take it off. If I get the pliers to open the split ring It seems impossible to insert it into the hole in the swivel. It rotates but it also seems to slide into the barrel and then the hole is reduced or hidden . I can' seem to hold the portion with the hole still and solid while I try to install the split ring. Is there a technique that I am not aware of that makes this easier?

Thanks,

Steve

When I change blades Steve, I just take the blade off of the split ring, there is no need to remove the split ring from the swivel. As far as the Worth swivels go, they make a light oversize split ring for their swivels, the holes are small but the rings are very workable so it really isn't hard but it does take a little practice. To make things easier when chaging hooks or doing anything with split rings, make sure you have a good pair of pliers, I have a good pair of split ring pliers now but I had used a cheap pair and when I got the better ones the difference was night and day, I never thought I'd ever say changing anything with split rings is easy but with the right tool it really is easy, good luck.

I only have one pair of split ring pliers. Maybe I should pick up a second pair. Right at the moment they are in the boat but if the ones I have aren't too whippy then maybe a different size or brand will help. I'm curious if my pair is lacking or not. Do you happen to have a brand or suggestion ?

I agree that leaving the split ring on is the best route but sometimes I may not be paying close enough attention and sometimes the split ring will rotate when I don't want it to.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, the brand really isn't important, look at the specs, they usually say that a pair of pliers is good for rings size 2 and up or size 4 and smaller. I never use anything bigger than a size 3 split ring for anything so I have a pair that is for size 4 and smaller, I believe they are American made, I'm not sure but I got them quite a while ago and they were like 20 bucks, the same for my round noce pliers but those are German made and I'd be lost without them. Another option is paying a lot and getting a pair of Snap-On precision needle nose pliers, they come to a very small point and are great for opening up split rings.

OK great. I'll be near a BPS and a Cabela's next week so I'll do a little comparing. Mine seem to work OK and I'm sure I didn't pay much for em but I will go give em a closer look. Thanks for the comments, appreciate it.

Do yourself a favor and by a pair of Xuron Split ring pliers. They are the best I have used so far. you can get them on ebay for $9 w/2.50 S&H,

Hope this helps,

Dave

Guys thanks for the updates on the ball bearing swivels!!!!! Also thanks for the info on the split ring pliers, I had an old pair of cheap Worth's that worked for well over 30 years and just recently chipped the tip. I had asked on another board about what new kinds folks had been using and I had been looking at the Texas Tackle split ring pliers but the Xuron's look more like the Worth's I've been using and everyone is really recommending them.

Thanks for all the info on both items.

Fatman

Guys thanks for the updates on the ball bearing swivels!!!!! Also thanks for the info on the split ring pliers, I had an old pair of cheap Worth's that worked for well over 30 years and just recently chipped the tip. I had asked on another board about what new kinds folks had been using and I had been looking at the Texas Tackle split ring pliers but the Xuron's look more like the Worth's I've been using and everyone is really recommending them.

Thanks for all the info on both items.

Fatman

I've got a pair of the Texas Tackle split ring pliers and they are the best I've ever used.