haxx5300

Cleaning Lee Pot

Does anybody out there have any tips, tricks, or advice for cleaning a Lee Production Pot IV?? I have drained all the lead out of it that I could to allow me to clean the pot but I am wondering what my best bet is to clean the spout and such. Does everything actually come apart to be able to work on it?? I found it virually impossible to get ALL of the lead out of the pot which left me with residue in the spout that I want to get out and clean out any contaminates that may be in it. This is a loaner pot that I'm sure hasn't been cleaned in the better part of 15 years so I'm thinking she's due for some routine maintenance. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

Does anybody out there have any tips, tricks, or advice for cleaning a Lee Production Pot IV?? I have drained all the lead out of it that I could to allow me to clean the pot but I am wondering what my best bet is to clean the spout and such. Does everything actually come apart to be able to work on it?? I found it virually impossible to get ALL of the lead out of the pot which left me with residue in the spout that I want to get out and clean out any contaminates that may be in it. This is a loaner pot that I'm sure hasn't been cleaned in the better part of 15 years so I'm thinking she's due for some routine maintenance. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

Remove the two hex head screws holding the lever wire down. This will allow you to remove the plunger assembly. Any residual lead should just lift out. I have never taken it any further than this. You can clean the the plunger and use a wire to clean the spout from the top and bottom. Thats all I have ever done and it worked out just fine. I know you can buy replacement parts so I am sure the nipple can be removed. I just didn't see a need to remove it.

Remove the two hex head screws holding the lever wire down. This will allow you to remove the plunger assembly. Any residual lead should just lift out. I have never taken it any further than this. You can clean the the plunger and use a wire to clean the spout from the top and bottom. Thats all I have ever done and it worked out just fine. I know you can buy replacement parts so I am sure the nipple can be removed. I just didn't see a need to remove it.

The nipple or spout cannot be removed by itself. It is one solid piece with the pot liner. Do be careful when cleaning the spout. The first time I cleaned my pot I accidentally widened the spout. The plunger still sealed it. But lead poured out at a strange angle and, did so really fast that it made pouring difficult.

WITackleGuy is correct the spout can not be removed. It is welded to the liner. The only thing I do once in a blue moon, is like everyone else. Empty the pot as far as you can go. Take out the plunger like atijigs said. If you have any left over lead you can use a propane torch to melt it and let it drip out. Once the pot is cool, I use some rough steel wool and clean the pot liner and the plunger. That is it. Do not open the hole in the pot more or grind down the plunger. you will screw it up and it won't seat properly. Once you're done empty out any steel wool remains, assemble it , plug it in and fill it with lead. :):)

Thanks guys, its pretty much everything I was wondering. The only other thing I am wondering is do you remove the pot liner before taking the torch to it?? If not, the torch won't cause any damage to the element will it?? I realize this could be a stupid question considering it heeats up to 8-900 degrees, but as I said its a loner from a friend so I would really hate to damage it while trying to do some good for it. Thanks again to all you guys for the info!!!!

I do one more step when cleaning my pot. When the lead is out and the plunger removed I take the pot outside and plug it in with an extension cord. When it is good and hot, I (wearing gloves, long sleeved shirt, and goggles) use my air compressor and shoot air through the hole from the bottom. That usually gets most everything out. Then after it cools I use steel wool in the top part of the hole and on the sides and blow it out again.

I have 2 of the Lee Pots. One I bought in 1984 and it's still going strong!!!!!!!! Here is how I handle mine. I have an old steel cup that I pour any leftover lead into and it makes small round plates that will fit back into my melter, it also serves if the pot starts to leak. I put the little pot under the pour spout and I use a LONG piece of spinner wire (I make mepps style spinners) while the pot is full run the wire through the hole to clear it then use a screwdriver to spin the pour bar until it stops dripping. While pouring I flux my lead, here's a good thread on it from Tackle Underground, I will say until I read this thread on fluxing I had NEVER EVER done it, I do now:

Best Lead Melt Flux? - Tackleunderground

I never leave lead to harden in my pot.

My cleaning of the Lee Pot:

When all the lead is out of the pot I WEARING GLOVES tilt it forward to get any remaining lead to flow out the hole, I turn the pot down to about 200 degrees and then with an old 1/4 oz jig with the barb cut off and the wire formed into an L shape I shove it up into the hole from the bottom and remove any clogs/buildup, then I use a piece of spinner wire (I make mepps style spinners) and do the same from the top.

I then turn the pot off and pull the bar our of the pot and let it cool totally, I usually trim sprues from the jigs and a quick swipe with a piece of sandpaper for any that don't come off clean.

I then pack up my jigs in zip bags for temp storage till I get to painting. I put all the sprue heads in my clean lead bucket and then to the pot. I pull the pouring bar out of the pot and use a piece of steel wool to get any crap off it and then use an old flat head screwdriver to scrape the sides of the pot down. I tip the pot over and knock all the scrapings out then use a big piece of steel wool to wipe the inside of the pot till totally clean.

I've done this with both my pots and I've been doing it for over 20 years and it works really well for me, plus when you go to pour again everything is clean and ready to go. I have to clean up after every session as I don't have a dedicated work area to just leave everything.

Hope this helps

Fatman