sallystrothers

Why Do You Do It?

The voices tell me to :D

What do all of you have a passion for making hard baits? Sometimes I wonder myself why I make them, since for most of us, we can get them readily available from our local retail outlet. So what motivates you to make your own hard baits?

For me: the challenge of discovering an aspect of our natural world. Ironically, as timeless as fishing with artificial baits is (I have a fly fishing book dated to the 1400's!!) the nature of hard baits is supremely (God like) multivariate. There are so many factors determining the success of a bait no person could quantify.

What drives you to make lures?

i started doing it for a few reasons

1. just to see if i can - its a challenge

2. i have a lot of free time in the evenings and my budget doesnt allow me to get out and do much - including fishing :(

3. to eventually help with the budget problems - i dont want to get rich doing it (be nice thouhg) - i just want to make enough to pay for the hobby and for "research and development" on the lake

4. is simply to be able to have or make the exact color combo i want and custom tune it for my lakes i fish - weiss, neely henry, guntersville, and eufaula - diffrent colors and combos for the diffrent lakes and seasons and water characteristics

5. i simply enjoy it now - a lil bit of time spent alone and in my own world to forget about the rest of the world and work and everything else going on - i can get in my makeshift studio (spare bedroom) and turn on the ipod and slip away for a while :)

I made my first lure when I was 11, 15 years ago! I'm glad to say that I still have it. It looks very similar to a chili pepper! From then, I wanted to make baits that caught fish... add about 5 more years to get something decent and consistent... and then another 3 years to find tackleunderground and to learn what really makes a crankbait and swimbait work... wooohooo, VORTICES baby! ... thanks vodkaman... and tequila! Oh, TU def helped me make mine look a lot pertier too!

I've become a better woodworker, airbrusher, and general "what can I make this do" type tinkerer. Thanks everyone who's helped me become better! On the flip side, I hoard every piece of junk now thinking that it will come in handy in making "the perfect lure" one day.

My ultimate goal, win the bassmaster classic. If I can't do it personally, than I want my lure to do it. I guess the tournaments fuel me whether I'm on the water or in the shop.

I started by wanting to catch a fish on something I made. Simple? The very first was a dream. Paint, ballast, line ties, hook hangers everything. Took it to the lake, swam perfect. It did everything I wanted, except catch fish. Made a few more, different patterns, wow, the dreaded death roll, blow out, and then it started. Came on this site and found out about hydrodynamic forces on the diving bill, whoa, my head hurts....but the end result, they catch fish. Thanks to all at Tackle Underground. Oh, I forgot, it gets me out of the house and into my shop, my space, just the radio, and the occasional restart of the air compressor.

Edited by bassguy

I started 50+ years ago. My Great-grandfather lived with us and all he did was fish & hunt. He was a net maker, landing nets fish bags, turtle traps, etc. etc. I learned how to read with a Netcraft Catalog, from Toledo, Ohio. Tied trout flies while in college to fund my fishing. Much of the fun for me is figuring out how to make the bait, whether I can improve on the original, maybe make it more fisherman catching, etc. etc. I have also made Rods, do a little reel repair, cleaning etc. Keeps me out from under the wifes feet. The water here in Ohio gets too hard to fish in the winter. I trieed ice fishing once. Went early in the day, but by the time I chopped a hole big enough for the boat is was almost dark.

I had painted a few baits with rattle cans until I stumbled across TU. Actually, I clicked on here expecting to see an online fishing lure store. At first, I stayed logged on for days at a time because I was truly amazed at the stuff you guys had created....and I still am. I bought all the stuff I needed to begin airbrushing and received tons of information from this site, so, I began to try my hand at airbrushing lures. Even as limited as my skills are, I'm still amazed at what I've been able to do in such a short time. Most of that is due to this hobby being so addictive. The more I try...the more I want to try. Thanks to all you guys for your help.

TU rocks!!

I had painted a few baits with rattle cans until I stumbled across TU. Actually, I clicked on here expecting to see an online fishing lure store. At first, I stayed logged on for days at a time because I was truly amazed at the stuff you guys had created....and I still am. I bought all the stuff I needed to begin airbrushing and received tons of information from this site, so, I began to try my hand at airbrushing lures. Even as limited as my skills are, I'm still amazed at what I've been able to do in such a short time. Most of that is due to this hobby being so addictive. The more I try...the more I want to try. Thanks to all you guys for your help.

TU rocks!!

+1000!!!!

Cuz I needed to a popper that was the right size.. the first one i made I hated it cuz it didnt float straight.. i didnt even paint it. Then a friend came by and said "hell I'll throw that thing" so i kept it B) and caught 20 fish first day out. Then a friend said his wake jr rolled at high speed when submerged adn if I could make one that didnt. Made him a bait and he loved it so much i was hooked. Plus it hard to get a good big wood swimbait.. so now im stuck! People keep asking for these darn things.. maybe one day ill have a couple for myself :drool: probably not :pissed:

I started by making a lure out of a 1/2" dowel, put a angle cut on the ends two hooks. Went to my favorite spot and on the first cast I caught a 14" smallmouth. That's all I needed. Now I have many $$$$ sunk into this I don't count time I'm retired. Best thing I ever did. It made me a better craftsman, one that now gets down to it, just not good enough yet, so I keep on going I have made some nice musky lures, I like floaters I can see what they are doing. Good fishing to all!