nedyarb

Mold Dilema

Hello all, I only have 3 molds and am just a casual pourer, but here is my problem. I bought an injection creature mold, but did not like injecting so I just hand pour. The mold I have has a 90 deg pour spout and usually poured a good bait 1 out of 3 pours. So like an idiot I thought, if I just cut off the top 1/4 of an inch of the mold, I could just pour the plastic straight down the sprue. But boy was I wrong. Now the belly of the lure gets a huge air bubble every time. I am worried I screwed it up. I think I have two options. JB weld the top back on or make the little airlines on the mold bigger. Neither one sounds really good, does anybody have any advise. Rob

Hello all, I only have 3 molds and am just a casual pourer, but here is my problem. I bought an injection creature mold, but did not like injecting so I just hand pour. The mold I have has a 90 deg pour spout and usually poured a good bait 1 out of 3 pours. So like an idiot I thought, if I just cut off the top 1/4 of an inch of the mold, I could just pour the plastic straight down the sprue. But boy was I wrong. Now the belly of the lure gets a huge air bubble every time. I am worried I screwed it up. I think I have two options. JB weld the top back on or make the little airlines on the mold bigger. Neither one sounds really good, does anybody have any advise. Rob

Why didn't you like injection?

Ouch!

Can you post a picture of the damages? (it might give is some ideas.)

Why didn't you like injection?

Ouch!

Can you post a picture of the damages? (it might give is some ideas.)

Only having 3 molds, made it difficult for me to inject. The time it took to clean the mold after erery time I shot it didn't add up for me. So I sold injector and just pour. Much less headache adcleanup. I don't pour much, so just made life simpler. I will take pics tonight. No clue how to post though. Rob

Only having 3 molds, made it difficult for me to inject. The time it took to clean the mold after erery time I shot it didn't add up for me. So I sold injector and just pour. Much less headache adcleanup. I don't pour much, so just made life simpler. I will take pics tonight. No clue how to post though. Rob

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

post-23835-0-90368700-1306940787_thumb.jpeg

The mold in the pic is not my mold. But it has the same pour type hole. What I did was cut the part off on the right side of the pic. About 1/4 inch. My thinking was I could bypass the 90 deg turn, and just pour the plastic straight down the hole.. but apparently that does not work. Rob

Air not getting forced out? Are there grooves cut into the mold for air to escape? Might need to make them bigger? But then have flash to clean up. Just my gut feeling.

Thanks, bassgeek, there are really small air vents. But I was thinking since it is an injection mold the vents were made really small. I may have to take my dremel and cut off disk and make airlines bigger..Rob

it will take super thin plastic to get all the tails to pour right i suspect and you will have to go super slow filling it so the air comes back out the top similar to the top pour senko molds that just have a vent at the bottom and a little extra gap between the 2 halves

Well I went and grinded the air slots with a dremel and it seemed to help. But it took me about and hour and a half to get 20 useable baits for fishing today. Here are some pics. The mold is a creature mold that I have been told is copyrighted, and supposedly I am not allowed to reproduce. So that's why I am reluctant to post pics. I know I am paranoid but hey, its my favorite lure. Rob

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

2011-06-01 22.04.09.jpg

2011-06-01 22.18.23.jpg

post-23835-0-78874400-1307015320_thumb.jpg

post-23835-0-67147500-1307015347_thumb.jpg

Well I went and grinded the air slots with a dremel and it seemed to help. But it took me about and hour and a half to get 20 useable baits for fishing today. Here are some pics. The mold is a creature mold that I have been told is copyrighted, and supposedly I am not allowed to reproduce. So that's why I am reluctant to post pics. I know I am paranoid but hey, its my favorite lure. Rob

Injection molds are not design for hand pouring. Their venting system is completely different from hand-pour molds.You probably could have sold the mold for a reduced price in perfect condition or even returned it to the seller for exchange for another product.Now you have a hybrid whatever.Good luck

Put a wad of JB weld on the right side of the mold as pictured and mold it to make a sprue hole the when you pour you will have a reservoir for additional plastic, it appears your getting an air pocket from not enough plastic available when it shrinks due to cooling.

Thanks Bilky, I still have the two little pieces, I cut off, and will probably jb weld them back on to have the sprue again. I guess 1 out of 3 good pours is better than 1 out of 10. And I have actually had a couple offers from people to nuy it like it is. I can't find this mold anywhere, and it is not going anywhere, even if it pours horrible. Thanks everyone for the tips. Rob

no that's not what I meant, take the mold the way it is and just block the right side with the JB Weld then you'll have a top pour with sprue.

You can probably do a couple of test pours before commiting to the JB Weld forming, curing, cutting and sanding. Wrap some aluminum tape around the top edge, sealing off that open side or other quick method. You will end up with a larger than needed sprue res, but should be able to see if that solves the issue. You would have to retape after every demold, but its just a test.

I think Mr B is correct, but this is a quick and dirty way to see for sure.

Put a wad of JB weld on the right side of the mold as pictured and mold it to make a sprue hole the when you pour you will have a reservoir for additional plastic, it appears your getting an air pocket from not enough plastic available when it shrinks due to cooling.

See the attached photo - this is what you want to end up with using the JB weld. I photo shopped the picture so it looks like aluminum but you will have JB weld in its place.

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

Mold Mod.jpg

post-12158-0-90700300-1307439685_thumb.jpg