Estimating Crankbait Depth?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CedarLakeMusky

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have been building crankbaits for a while now but I don't really know how deep they can run. You can cast from your boat or dock but I don't think that gives you a real good idea. I was wondering if there is a general formula? I know that trolling should get you deeper than casting. I am only looking for estimates in both casting and trolling, its probably almost impossible to get an exact depth. Well maybe if you have scuba gear .:lol:

Thank you for any info

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Nope, there isn't because there are too many dependencies in how it's built. The only thing I can generalize depth from is comparing a bait to a very similar crankbait for which I know the depth profile. Then I know what I have to do to make it run deeper or shallower. But you still have to test, test, test. BTW, don't extrapolate from a commercial crankbait with an "advertised depth". They are notoriously misleading. And how the crankbait is fished makes as much difference as anything else: line size used, type of line, how the rod is held, or how far behind the boat a crank is trolled.