MuskyGary

Plastic Tail On A Wood Bait

If it's a soft plastic tail, I use a homemade sst spring, like a hitch hiker, only bigger for swimbait tails.

If it's a hard plastic fixed tail, I cut a slot into the tail section and slip the tail in, anchoring it with glue and pins.

If it's a hard plastic moving tail, I drill two hole in the leading edge of the tail for split rings, and then add some sst eyes in the back of the next section.

I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to do it, but these are what I do.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Im headed in the right direction. Im going to make my own hitchiker with a U bend in the wire which goes into the wooden body. Im not sure if glue will hold it in, but it's a start. No hooks in the plastic so the water pull should be miminum. Im making bassbaits.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Im headed in the right direction. Im going to make my own hitchiker with a U bend in the wire which goes into the wooden body. Im not sure if glue will hold it in, but it's a start. No hooks in the plastic so the water pull should be miminum. Im making bassbaits.

I set my hitch hikers in D2T if they're big, or in Zap gap filler glue, and then hit that with the Zap accelerant. I use stock sst hitch hikers for attaching floating worms to my floating mouse cranks.

Edited by mark poulson

I set my hitch hikers in D2T if they're big, or in Zap gap filler glue, and then hit that with the Zap accelerant. I use stock sst hitch hikers for attaching floating worms to my floating mouse cranks.

Mark you ever had those hitch hikers break off after a while? I had to switch to a cut off screw eye (threaded post) and just glue the tails on! Some customers were sending baits back for a new corkscrew cuz the wire was to thin and broke.. maybe its just me!

Toxicbaits,

I haven't had the sst hitch hikers break yet. The wire is heavier and stronger than the brass models. But the plastics I use those to attach are like worms for rat crank tails. Nothing too big.

For bigger plastic tails, like for swimbaits, I make my own sst screws by wrapping spinnerbait wire around a 5/16" lag screw held in a vise. I use vice grips to hold one end of the wire, and use both hands, in leather gloves, to wrap the wire around the Iag screw. Otherwise the wire will cut my hands, or, at least, bruise and burn them.

I set those in D2T in a 5/16" hole in the middle of the last section of the baits, and screw the tails onto them.

I've never had one of those fail.

For bigger plastic tails, like for swimbaits, I make my own sst screws by wrapping spinnerbait wire around a 5/16" lag screw held in a vise. I use vice grips to hold one end of the wire, and use both hands, in leather gloves, to wrap the wire around the Iag screw. Otherwise the wire will cut my hands, or, at least, bruise and burn them.

I set those in D2T in a 5/16" hole in the middle of the last section of the baits, and screw the tails onto them.

I've never had one of those fail.

Hand made threaded inserts, now that is clever. Nice one Mark.

Dave