YakAngler81

Reel Prep?

I was thinking about repainting one of my older Daiwas. I have all the info I need except two things. After disassembling it, what steps do I need to take to prep the pieces to be repainted? Also what would be best for basecoating it? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

I sanded and painted an all-metal reel a few years ago with auto products (aerosol self-etching primer, color, clearcoat) and after fishing it awhile, have a few observations:

Reels get lots of impacts that want to chip the finish, so use the toughest products you can find or the reel will look old again PDQ. Your new paint is not going to be as durable as the factory finish. Try to use a primer that matches the color of the reel because if the paint chips, it will show through. The clearcoat is the most critical element. If I had it to do over again, I would choose a high solids 2 part catalyzed auto clearcoat. Or maybe try spraying Dick Nite S81 topcoat thinned with acetone. Something really really tough!