Sharptooth

Getting Ready...

Well I'm getting ready to work on my first Crank. I've been reading all the topics and learning everything I possibly can from you guys. Great info and I would be lost without it. I have nobody to teach me but what you guys have posted and trial and error. I've had my bodies ready to go for some time. They are made out of basswood. Just got an Iwata Neo dual action gravity fed and Iwata Ninja jet compressor. Createx paint and Some Etex and Devcon 2T (Got them both to figure out which I like better) Lol after 3 days of reading on here about topcoats, I still didnt know which was better. Made me a Lure turner out of a walmart rottisserie (*sp). I've been practising with airbrush for a couple days because I had never had one in my hand before. Getting ready to mix some thinner out of glass cleaner, denatured alcohol, glycerin and destilled water. Guess I'll see how she turns out...wish me luck!

Go for it Sharptooth. Only way to learn is to get your hands dirty. Eventually you'll pick and choose from all the great advice here at TU to something that fits with the way things work for you and that your comfortable with. Like you, I had never even held an airbrush until I joined TU. While my painting skills aren't that great I'm catching fish on baits I've painted. And isn't that what really matters? Good luck.

Ben

Your doomed!!!! errr I meant hooked for life!!!!

But I learned/still learning exclusively from the teachings of this site. A couple things to remember...

1. Practice with your AB and thin your paints... Clean it well!

2. Devon is much easier to use but I like Etex finished product better... read up on etex and dont follow others mistakes

3. You can only learn from trial and error dont get discouraged.

4. Seal and test before paint and TC

Have fun with it

Matt

Try the Etex first. I hate to use D2T that is like globbing clear coat on the lure. DN is also a good choice for coating lures. That is what I use and will never go back to D2T. Have fun and just be patient. It takes a lot of time to get good at this. I look back at the first lures I did and I wouldn't even throw them in my tackle box. So have fun and don't get discouraged.

As you spray, keep the air going even if the paint's not going. Make it a policy. Shoot dry air for a couple of seconds before putting the brush down, also. This will help prevents spits and clogs. Keep a piece of paper or roll of masking tape handy and test your spray every now and then, after color changes, or if the brush has been sitting for more than a minute. Better that than to get chunky spits on your bait. It happens with water based, hardly ever with urethane colors. Keep a moist q tip handy or something to take care of the spits that do land on the bait. Watch out for dust. Continously check the lure for dust, spits and other defects. Dust is better removed with the paint thouroughly dry, spits wet. Don't let your coats get too wet as you spray or lint and dust will stick to it more.

I had to kind of retrain myself this way when I switched to water based, but things go a lot more smoothly.

If you run at higher PSI and go easy on the trigger you'll get better atomization than if you run at lower PSI and floor it.