onlyonmonday

What Too Order ?

I am now disabled and wish to make through wire lures, spinners, and split rings to save on funds and have something to do.. I wish to use only stainless steel wire and the questions I have to start with are;

1. What should I order and from whom ??

2. I have prices from McMaster-Carr so far but do not know if I should just get wire from one source to save on total bill.. I am thinking to get ¼ lb so I can save and not have to worry of running low, or should I just get 30 feet of..

3. What size do I order for what I wish to do ??

4. Should I order different size wire or can one size do it all ??

5. Can I bend my own split rings and have them be reliable ??

6. What sized treble hooks should be correct for a 3” / 4” / 5” lure ??

7. Should I order a wire former or build one ??

A. If I order one what is the one too get considering I am poor now ??

Thank you "VERY" much for your time, interest, and consideration.

look on the resources pages here for suppliers look in the forums under wire baits dont know much about building them

Well I have catalogs from barlows, do it, tackle craft, lure parts online, janns netcraft, but also have the internet..

I think I am on info overload to some degree, but also can't be at puter for a long period of time and thought to ask for some help to get this hobby going..

Pain is always with me and hard to keep things straight in head..

Edited by onlyonmonday

I am now disabled and wish to make through wire lures, spinners, and split rings to save on funds and have something to do.. I wish to use only stainless steel wire and the questions I have to start with are;

1. What should I order and from whom ??

2. I have prices from McMaster-Carr so far but do not know if I should just get wire from one source to save on total bill.. I am thinking to get ¼ lb so I can save and not have to worry of running low, or should I just get 30 feet of..

3. What size do I order for what I wish to do ??

4. Should I order different size wire or can one size do it all ??

5. Can I bend my own split rings and have them be reliable ??

6. What sized treble hooks should be correct for a 3” / 4” / 5” lure ??

7. Should I order a wire former or build one ??

A. If I order one what is the one too get considering I am poor now ??

Thank you "VERY" much for your time, interest, and consideration.

You'll probably get more answers if you post your questions on the Wire Bait forum. That said, a couple of comments: split rings are cheap, I'd just order them instead of trying to form them yourself. I order ss wire from McMaster-Carr and they have a great selection and good prices but were it me, I'd opt to buy straight ss wire forms instead of a 1/4 lb wire spool. Again, they are pretty cheap, already straight, and you can get them with one end already formed into a loop so you'll have less work to do in putting together a spinner. I see a lot of spinners made with .051" diameter wire. You can hand bend that diameter with a pair of wire bending pliers if you have good hand strength but a wire bender would give more professional results and would be easier. Can't comment on models. Treble sizes: small 3" spinners might use a #4 treble but most pike and musky spinners employ #2 trebles or larger.