Jigsisme

Homemade Jig Molds

Will,

I sent you an e-mail earlier. Also if I can find it I have a tutorial on how to make a mold using POP. I will have to search my computer for it though. So give me a day or so.

CADMAN if you found the tutorial can you please send it to me as well. bakgatlures@gmail.com

CADMAN if you found the tutorial can you please send it to me as well. bakgatlures@gmail.com

I have used two types of silicone rubber. The first type was used with the Vulc-a-Mold tool sold my Miniature Molds. This was cured in an oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Unfortunately, the tool is no longer available.

I have also used room temp-RTV (Quick-Sil) and that was also easy to use. Note that with both types of rubber the jigs are pretty good, but they are not as easy to make as with the Do-It molds.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.miniaturemolds.com/

I hope this helps.

Pete

OK guys here is the article I was referring to. It's main ingredient is Durhams Water putty, however this can be applied to http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/14365-how-to-make-a-spinnerbait-mold/

I have made and used a lot of the RTV MOLDING . Used it spinnerbaits , buzz baits and bass swim jigs. Have one mold that has made at leasty one thousand swimm jigs with it a lone. Once you get on to making them which is very easy you won't look at any other way of making lures. Unless its with a store bought mold. Good luck. STEVE

Tried bondo with poor results. I use GT 1364 60 SHORE A PLATINUM BASED by GT products.

It is designed to make silicone molds.  Costs about $100 for a gallon for which I used able to make 16 jig

molds.   Alumilite's makelure.com website has tutorials ....They sell similar product, but costs more.

On Ebay you can find silicone mold making platinum cure in smaller quantities.  Pretty simple, I use legos to

make the surrounding box.  Of course you need the original jig which you want to clone.

Tried bondo with poor results. I use GT 1364 60 SHORE A PLATINUM BASED by GT products.

It is designed to make silicone molds.  Costs about $100 for a gallon for which I used able to make 16 jig

molds.   Alumilite's makelure.com website has tutorials ....They sell similar product, but costs more.

On Ebay you can find silicone mold making platinum cure in smaller quantities.  Pretty simple, I use legos to

make the surrounding box.  Of course you need the original jig which you want to clone.

just looked at alumilite's products their mold making silicone are tin based ... not suitable for higher temperatures

lead pouring requires.  Look for platinum cure silicones...   But their tutorials for making molds work the same for

platinum cure still apply.

Will the high temp Form A Gasket silicone work?

not sure what that is, but i would guess NO.

silicone needs to flow like a liquid  ... to follow the contours of the jig, before it hardens.

Mold making silicone is pretty foolproof and no more expensive when bought in gallon size.

Edited by jcool3

It is designed to make silicone molds. Costs about $100 for a gallon for which I used able to make 16 jig

molds. Alumilite's makelure.com website has tutorials ....They sell similar product, but costs more.

On Ebay you can find silicone mold making platinum cure in smaller quantities. Pretty simple, I use legos to

make the surrounding box. Of course you need the original jig which you want to clone.

just looked at alumilite's products their mold making silicone are tin based ... not suitable for higher temperatures

lead pouring requires. Look for platinum cure silicones... But their tutorials for making molds work the same for

platinum cure still apply.

jcool3 thanks for the quick response.

I like your idea to use Legos for the mold form.

The 1364 60 shore A Data Sheet says use temp is 450 F.

Since solder temp is 620 F can continuous molding be done without damaging the mold?

Edited by fshng2
  • Like 1

i pour at 600-700 temp and have no problems.  1/2 thickness of all sides from the jig. put blocks of stiff wood on outside & quick clamp for pouring.  Use quick clamp as a handle. Also need at least 3 locating pins.  Use vaseline as mold release during setup.  Modeling clay in the lego bed for embedding the master jig and locating pins.

I think there was a post by paramus?? on his silicone jig molds somewhere in this forum.

jcool3 thanks for the info and great tips.

Sounds like this stuff can take a beating from the heat. Also seems like an easy material to use all around. I will be molding up to 3 oz of lead and letting the mold cool before the next pour.

Was hoping to find a material for a mold that will last for a couple hundred pours and I think you found it.

Thanks for the help.

jcool3 thanks for the info and great tips.

Sounds like this stuff can take a beating from the heat. Also seems like an easy material to use all around. I will be molding up to 3 oz of lead and letting the mold cool before the next pour.

Was hoping to find a material for a mold that will last for a couple hundred pours and I think you found it.

Thanks for the help.

i found the original post on this forum, everything you need to know

type search: silicone jig molds  paxamus

the link is http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/24431-silicone-jig-molds/?hl=%2Bsilicone+%2Bjig+%2Bmolds+%2Bpaxamus#entry183975

i usually am pouring 2 molds continuously. I alternate them.  You don't want the mold to cool down before pouring again.  Hot molds are necessary for good pours.  And I am pouring up to 6 oz. lead.  Paxamus uses siliconefrom sunbelt materials which is more expensive - your choice.  his photobucket page has pictures of actual mold and jigs that he made

http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Paxamus/media/027ab975.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

Edited by jcool3
  • Like 1