MikePaintsBaits

How Are The Black Lines Done ?

looks like to me the black lines were put down with a stencil possibly free hand the the bait was covered with a diamond shaped netting and the sides were shot over with gold i could be wrong hope this helps

Hey All

Haven't painted for sometime , going to start warming up the airbrush again.

Can anyone help , how are the black lines being done on the bait in the pic?

Big Thanks

Mike P.

I would base coat the bait in black. Apply the netting and spray gold over that. Remove the netting and fade the yellow and green up to the gold. Not sure that's exactly how it was done, but should get you in the ballpark.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I would base coat the bait in black. Apply the netting and spray gold over that. Remove the netting and fade the yellow and green up to the gold. Not sure that's exactly how it was done, but should get you in the ballpark.

Ben

Bn,

I think you got it right. I use a hair comb with every other tooth removed as a stencil to get that look. Because I hold it in my hand there is a softening of the lines of what would be the green in this case. But the scaling is definately gold over a black base, using scale cloth.

I was able to achieve an effect similar to this with a plastic bait that had a good scale pattern in it.  First I painted the entire bait black with a paint brush then I immediately grabbed a paper towel and wiped off all the paint I could.  That put a fine black line in every scale, gill, mouth and fin line.  Then I painted the rest of the bait normally with transparent paints.  That's the only way I can see getting that nice black line with-in the bars on the above pictured bait.