mark poulson

Popper Fish

Good news, bad news, good news.

I fished a club tourney yesterday on the Castaic afterbay, the Lagoon.

First, the good news. I got a fish on one of my homemade poppers on my first cast.

Bad news, first cast curse. I got a nice crappie on the next cast with the same bait, but nothing else all day. My partner only managed one dink.

Good news, my fish held up for big fish. 8.37lbs.

I can't figure out how to add a thumbnail here, so I posted both the fish and the lure in the hardbaits gallery.

BPS Stacey King med. lite crank rod, 7'. Quantum Accurist, circa 2003, with 14lb BPS Excel mono. That's my favorite top water setup.

I was probably as happy to have caught it on a homemade bait as I was to win big fish. ;)

First, the good news. I got a fish on one of my homemade poppers on my first cast.

Bad news, first cast curse. I got a nice crappie on the next cast with the same bait, but nothing else all day. My partner only managed one dink.

I can't figure out how to add a thumbnail here, so I posted both the fish and the lure in the hardbaits gallery.

BPS Stacey King med. lite crank rod, 7'. Quantum Accurist, circa 2003, with 14lb BPS Excel mono. That's my favorite top water setup.

I was probably as happy to have caught it on a homemade bait as I was to win big fish. ;)

Way to go!! 8.37 pounds!

For pics i upload my pics to photobucket and host them to here using the img tags. Works great and saves the admins here space.

Congratulations Mark!!!!

BTW you were fishing on truly hallowed waters. Two IGFA Ffyrod world records, 14 and 16 pounds, were pulled out of that fore bay AND released back!!!

So more good luck!

John

Thanks guys.

I'm like most bass fishermen, more comfortable fishing definate structure, so the grass in the lagoon has been tough for me.

My big fish came over 25' of water, but adjacent to a dropoff and point. I'd caught fish there before, but I'd always fished parallel to the drop off. Now that part is buoyed off for swimming, and I would have been lost except for my partner.

I was fortunate to have a long time lagoon float tuber as my non-boater.

He picked our first spot, and told me where to cast.

First cast, big fish. She took a minute, which seemed like an eternity, to get to the net, and had my popper way down in her throat. We needed pliers to get the hook loose, so she wasn't going to spit it, but her teeth were so sharp it's a good thing I was throwing 14lb mono.

Second cast, 2lb crappie! I released her, because that big fish would have killed her if I'd kept her to show off.

Our club pres., who fishes there a lot, pulled up a cast away, and saw me catch the fish. Then his non-boater stuck a 4lber right next to us. A young kid, and it was his biggest bass ever.

They wound up taking second, with three 5lb. fish and two small ones.

It took 20lbs to win, and our club averaged 3+lbs per fish, so it was a great day.

I'm going back this Saturday, to see if I can find the weed bite that I missed Sunday. Now that I know the fish are there, I'll take my time and work it more slowly and thoroughly.

Of course, I'm going to start at the same spot, same cast, same bait, just in case lightning strikes twice! :lol: