Jeff

Removing Flexcoat??

Hey guys I messed up and need some advice!

I mixed up some Flexcoat and wasn't careul enough measuring amounts. Now after 3 days it won't set up. I want to remove the Flexcoat rather than add more over top of it. I don't want the clearcoat that thick on the lure.

Any suggestions for removing the uncured Flexcoat??

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm assuming you've painted underneath the FC and it won't stand up to harsh solvents.

I'd remove what I can with a utility knife or #2 X-Acto. Denatured alcohol or U-40 brush cleaner will take care of the rest. Not sure how well your paint job would hold up to those. But as for solvents that will take care of epoxy, they are about as mild as they come.

I'd very seriously consider another top coat of FC. I know you don't want the thickness but the alternative is a quite a bit of work at best.

ooohh...not good with any of the 2-part clears. I have not had this problem with FC yet, use the syringes religously. I did wipe some off of a bait the other day because the eyes (3D on bomber 14A) were not set up and that worked ok. Found out Zap-a-Gap and FC do not like each other much.

I would try one of 2 things: First, try brushing on some additional hardener. If you just put more FC on, it might cure (the outer layer) but the bad inner layer will not. Second, try a little acetone on a paper towel and wipe quickly and lightly, following with something like isopropyl alcohol. The acetone should remove the FC, and maybe the paint. The alcohol will help clear the acetone before (hopefully) it has enough time to eat into the paint or the bait itself. Acetone is a solvent for a lot of the 2-part epoxies. This is the second option for obvious reasons.

Let us know how it comes out.

Dave Reeve

ooohh...not good with any of the 2-part clears. I have not had this problem with FC yet, use the syringes religously. I did wipe some off of a bait the other day because the eyes (3D on bomber 14A) were not set up and that worked ok. Found out Zap-a-Gap and FC do not like each other much.

I would try one of 2 things: First, try brushing on some additional hardener. If you just put more FC on, it might cure (the outer layer) but the bad inner layer will not. Second, try a little acetone on a paper towel and wipe quickly and lightly, following with something like isopropyl alcohol. The acetone should remove the FC, and maybe the paint. The alcohol will help clear the acetone before (hopefully) it has enough time to eat into the paint or the bait itself. Acetone is a solvent for a lot of the 2-part epoxies. This is the second option for obvious reasons.

Let us know how it comes out.

Dave Reeve