esox2525

Problem With Envirotex Lite

I have been using envirotex lite as my top coat for sometime now without any problems. Recently I switched to a new set of plastic syringes to measure the resin and hardener. Since using the new syringes I have been getting areas where the clear coat seperates from itself leaving a bare spot in the form of small circles. I remember this happening to me years ago when I switched from old to new syringes for the measuring process and eventually it just stopped happening. I was told that it might have to do with something inside the new syringes, possibly the rubber on the plunger, that is causing this to occur . I tried cleaning them out with denatured alcohol and "rinsing" them with the resin and hardener before using them and this did not seem to help. Anyone have this problem before or have any suggestions for a solution?

THANKS!

Before I started using etex I read up on it. One of the things I came across was this issue you are talking about. I think they said that its the silicone in the plunger that can cause it. I dont think they had a solution only suggestions....

1. Buy epoxy syringes like flexcoat ones

2. They suggested try verternary syringes (this is what i bought and no problems so far)

3. and so on there are other things they listed like clean the bait and dont touch... mix better la te dadadada DA! But as you are experienced user i wont go into those.

Try a search and see if you can find that thread. I dont remember if they said you can clean them off or not but maybe try thinner as its a bit more aggressive.

I agree that the syringes to use are Flexcoat 3cc syringes. They're made for epoxy, last forever, and are something like $2 a pair. They also make larger syringes.

http://www.flexcoat....coded-syringes/

Thanks for this topic as i have been having the same problem after switching and using syringes recently...i though it was the container i was mixing in. I did find out that you can repair the fish eyes if you brush the lures 3-4 times throughout the first hour.

I am looking at the flexcoat syringes and will get a pack for sure.

I won't go into a bunch of stuff I'm sure you've already heard, but I haven't had much luck "cleaning" stuff with denatured alcohol. I started using acetone to clean or wipe down anything I think may be contaminated and have had very few problems since starting to use it. About the only thing I use denatured alcohol for anymore is thinning D2T. I've been using syringes that are available from the pharmacy to shoot D2T into the holes drilled for hook hangers and line ties and haven't had any problems with them. The only difference is that I mix my epoxies, both D2T and Etex, in the small, graduated plastic cups (get those at the pharmacy as well) before I suck it up with the syringe. The pill cups are only about 2 cents each and can toss them in the trash once finished. No clean-up involved.

I won't go into a bunch of stuff I'm sure you've already heard, but I haven't had much luck "cleaning" stuff with denatured alcohol. I started using acetone to clean or wipe down anything I think may be contaminated and have had very few problems since starting to use it. About the only thing I use denatured alcohol for anymore is thinning D2T. I've been using syringes that are available from the pharmacy to shoot D2T into the holes drilled for hook hangers and line ties and haven't had any problems with them. The only difference is that I mix my epoxies, both D2T and Etex, in the small, graduated plastic cups (get those at the pharmacy as well) before I suck it up with the syringe. The pill cups are only about 2 cents each and can toss them in the trash once finished. No clean-up involved.

Hi Ben..does the syringes you use have rubber tips......I buy mine at a pharmacy too...but they do not have rubber tips...thanks for your time.

Brent

Hi Ben..does the syringes you use have rubber tips......I buy mine at a pharmacy too...but they do not have rubber tips...thanks for your time.

Brent

Hey Brent..........

After reading BobV's post it looks like the syringes I'm using have the silicone plunger. They are indeed black. They don't seem to give me any trouble though as I mix my epoxy in the plastic cups I talked about in my last post on this thread. The only thing I use the syringe for is the actual injection of D2T into the holes for the line ties and hook hangers. After each use the syringe is thoroughly cleaned before being stowed away awaiting it's next use.

On another note that might be relevant to this thread is the way I measure the two part epoxies. It has been mentioned several times that D2T and Etex are supposed to be mixed according to volume. Not by weight. I order the D2T in the 9 oz. bottles and the Etex is bought in 16 oz. bottles. Each bottle of the D2T weighs 9 oz. and each bottle of the Etex weighs 16 oz. Comparing each bottle of the D2T side by side, and doing the same with the Etex, they have the exact same volume. For this reason I have started weighing the resin and hardener to get an equal mix. I use a digital scale set in the gram mode to do my weight measurements. There are 28.3 grams in an ounce and my scale reads in tenths of a gram so I don't think I'm going to get any closer to having an exact 50/50 mix. All that is necessary is to zero your scale and then add the 2 parts, one at a time, in equal weights. I've been doing this for some time now and have not had any problems at all with either of the epoxies.

Ben

Hey Brent..........

After reading BobV's post it looks like the syringes I'm using have the silicone plunger. They are indeed black. They don't seem to give me any trouble though as I mix my epoxy in the plastic cups I talked about in my last post on this thread. The only thing I use the syringe for is the actual injection of D2T into the holes for the line ties and hook hangers. After each use the syringe is thoroughly cleaned before being stowed away awaiting it's next use.

On another note that might be relevant to this thread is the way I measure the two part epoxies. It has been mentioned several times that D2T and Etex are supposed to be mixed according to volume. Not by weight. I order the D2T in the 9 oz. bottles and the Etex is bought in 16 oz. bottles. Each bottle of the D2T weighs 9 oz. and each bottle of the Etex weighs 16 oz. Comparing each bottle of the D2T side by side, and doing the same with the Etex, they have the exact same volume. For this reason I have started weighing the resin and hardener to get an equal mix. I use a digital scale set in the gram mode to do my weight measurements. There are 28.3 grams in an ounce and my scale reads in tenths of a gram so I don't think I'm going to get any closer to having an exact 50/50 mix. All that is necessary is to zero your scale and then add the 2 parts, one at a time, in equal weights. I've been doing this for some time now and have not had any problems at all with either of the epoxies.

Ben

Thanks for your reply Ben.........

Esox,

I bought a box of 100 off ebay. they are vet ones though as I heard they are better. if you want to try some of mine I can send you a few. I never have fish eye issues.....YET! :blink:

They are 3ml...kinda small but they work!

I took a look on ebay for vet syringes but only found mostly glass and steel ones...i didnt see any cheap disposable ones. I am going to buy the flex coat ones once canada post is off strike...for now its back to measuring in the cups.

THANK YOU everyone for the great advice. It seems like my suspicions where true. Was looking to save a few bucks seeing is how I have access to all the free syringes I want, but they all have black rubber on the tip of the plungers. Just bought a set made for epoxy. Thanks again for the info guys!!!

Matt,

Thank you for the kind gesture. Just bought a set of syringes made for use with epoxy. Very kind of you to offer!

quote name='Matt Moreau' timestamp='1308242472' post='168256']

Esox,

I bought a box of 100 off ebay. they are vet ones though as I heard they are better. if you want to try some of mine I can send you a few. I never have fish eye issues.....YET! :blink:

They are 3ml...kinda small but they work!