fraddosio

New To Airbrushing

http://www.harborfre...-kit-95630.html

i was wondering if this would be good enough for crankbaits or would i need a bigger compressor

Definitely wouldnt need a bigger compressor as 58psi is more pressure than most guys will ever spray. (around 30psi seems to be the norm) I have no idea what kind of quallity that compressor and brush is though as the price is almost too good to be true for both a brush and compressor. I used the search function and found a lot of threads on good airbrushes and compressors out there.(a decent airbrush starts at about $50)

http://www.harborfre...-kit-95630.html

i was wondering if this would be good enough for crankbaits or would i need a bigger compressor

I have that exact same set up. I have not used the airbrush because i have an Iwata but many people say good things about it. The compressor works great and is very quiet. I use it about 3 hours a day almost every day. If mine takes a dump, I would go get another one.

I have that exact same set up. I have not used the airbrush because i have an Iwata but many people say good things about it. The compressor works great and is very quiet. I use it about 3 hours a day almost every day. If mine takes a dump, I would go get another one.

Jeez i might look into get that setup then!! I already have a gravity fed touch up gun and a badger, but i need a decent compressor.

I would recommend getting the biggest air compressor that you can afford. I use a 33 gallon one and turn it on once and when its full I can spray all night without it ever needing to be turned on again. I had a pancake 3 gallon one from harbor freight and that one quit working after about 3 months.

I would recommend getting the biggest air compressor that you can afford. I use a 33 gallon one and turn it on once and when its full I can spray all night without it ever needing to be turned on again. I had a pancake 3 gallon one from harbor freight and that one quit working after about 3 months.

I have a Campbell Hausfeld 3/4 hp 3 gallon compressor but the points are screwed up in it and i have no idea how to fix them....i might try to fix that before persuing a new one.

Edited by RedSkullz

I've spent the better part of the past 48 hours reading "stuff" on this site and I am absolutely amazed at the talents of you guys. These lures y'all build are mind-bogglin'. Couldn't stand it any longer, so, I joined. :)

I am not a lure builder but I would like to learn the basics of airbrushing, so, maybe you guys could tell me what I need to start with.....brand of airbrush, accessories, etc. Even though I need to start with a "starter set"......I would like to buy quality to begin, not some piece of junk just in case I get really interested.

Thanks, guys, in advance

First of all let me say that the search function in the top right corner can be your best friend when it comes to researching topics. There is a vast amount of reference info available at your fingertips.

If your wanting to buy a quality airbrush I firmly believe you can't go wrong with an Iwata. They make airbrushes from under $100 up to several hundred dollars. Whatever brush you decide to buy I would also suggest that you get a gravity fed airbrush. A gravity fed brush will shoot using much lower air pressure than a siphon fed brush. Lower pressure and thinned paint are pretty much a necessity when trying to spray fine lines or do detail work.

As far as a compressor there are many that will do the job. Your personal situation or preferences will have to guide you on this. If noise isn't a concern there are many "pancake" style compressors that work well. If noise is a major concern (such as if you live in an apartment) then you may need to go with a smaller, oil less type of compressor. There are many "airbrush kits" that come with this type of compressor. An oil less compressor won't need an inline desiccant filter whereas an oiled compressor (like the pancake or air tool compressors) will. A desiccant filter removes any oil vapor that may slip around the piston rings in the oiled compressors.

The first decision you need to make about paint is what type of paint you want to use. The two main choices are water based or solvent based. There are many more safety concerns with solvent based paints. For this reason many of us choose to use water based paints. With water based paints you don't have the harmful vapors associated with solvent based paints. Some of the more popular water based paints are Createx, Auto-Air, Smith Paints taxidermy paints and Wasco taxidermy paints.

Do a little searching and reading on the topics I've covered and come back and ask any questions you may have and someone here at TU will do their best to help you.

good luck,

Ben

I've spent the better part of the past 48 hours reading "stuff" on this site and I am absolutely amazed at the talents of you guys. These lures y'all build are mind-bogglin'. Couldn't stand it any longer, so, I joined. :)

I am not a lure builder but I would like to learn the basics of airbrushing, so, maybe you guys could tell me what I need to start with.....brand of airbrush, accessories, etc. Even though I need to start with a "starter set"......I would like to buy quality to begin, not some piece of junk just in case I get really interested.

Thanks, guys, in advance

All dual action airbrushes (push trigger down for more air, pull back for more paint) work the same. The differences are in build quality and tip size. JMHO, a moderately priced brush from a good company with a medium size tip is the best "starter" a/b because it will keep working for years and you can easily buy parts for it if you damage anything (which you probably will eventually). A .3mm tip is "right sized" for crankbaits. Shoots enough paint for basecoating and shoots fine enough paint patterns for shading and doing detail work when you get your skill set going. One a/b that fits the bill, IMO, is the Iwata Revolution BR. Costs about $70. .3mm tip. Very high build quality. Pair it with an airbrush compressor that advertises at least 60 psi or with just about any standard tool compressor. Add a pressure regulator if the compressor doesn't come with one, plus a moisture trap and a hose for your a/b, and you're in business.

It's worth doing some search/reading on compressors. Neophytes sometimes neglect the research and end up with an underpowered compressor that just won't get the job done.

First of all let me say that the search function in the top right corner can be your best friend when it comes to researching topics. There is a vast amount of reference info available at your fingertips.

If your wanting to buy a quality airbrush I firmly believe you can't go wrong with an Iwata. They make airbrushes from under $100 up to several hundred dollars. Whatever brush you decide to buy I would also suggest that you get a gravity fed airbrush. A gravity fed brush will shoot using much lower air pressure than a siphon fed brush. Lower pressure and thinned paint are pretty much a necessity when trying to spray fine lines or do detail work.

As far as a compressor there are many that will do the job. Your personal situation or preferences will have to guide you on this. If noise isn't a concern there are many "pancake" style compressors that work well. If noise is a major concern (such as if you live in an apartment) then you may need to go with a smaller, oil less type of compressor. There are many "airbrush kits" that come with this type of compressor. An oil less compressor won't need an inline desiccant filter whereas an oiled compressor (like the pancake or air tool compressors) will. A desiccant filter removes any oil vapor that may slip around the piston rings in the oiled compressors.

The first decision you need to make about paint is what type of paint you want to use. The two main choices are water based or solvent based. There are many more safety concerns with solvent based paints. For this reason many of us choose to use water based paints. With water based paints you don't have the harmful vapors associated with solvent based paints. Some of the more popular water based paints are Createx, Auto-Air, Smith Paints taxidermy paints and Wasco taxidermy paints.

Do a little searching and reading on the topics I've covered and come back and ask any questions you may have and someone here at TU will do their best to help you.

good luck,

Ben

Thanks, Ben. I watched every lure airbrushing vid on YouTube last night and I am excited about this. I don't have alot of artistic ability, but, I do have the patience of Job, a great imagination and all the time in the world. ;) Thanks, again.

All dual action airbrushes (push trigger down for more air, pull back for more paint) work the same. The differences are in build quality and tip size. JMHO, a moderately priced brush from a good company with a medium size tip is the best "starter" a/b because it will keep working for years and you can easily buy parts for it if you damage anything (which you probably will eventually). A .3mm tip is "right sized" for crankbaits. Shoots enough paint for basecoating and shoots fine enough paint patterns for shading and doing detail work when you get your skill set going. One a/b that fits the bill, IMO, is the Iwata Revolution BR. Costs about $70. .3mm tip. Very high build quality. Pair it with an airbrush compressor that advertises at least 60 psi or with just about any standard tool compressor. Add a pressure regulator if the compressor doesn't come with one, plus a moisture trap and a hose for your a/b, and you're in business.

It's worth doing some search/reading on compressors. Neophytes sometimes neglect the research and end up with an underpowered compressor that just won't get the job done.

Bob, if it's ok, I would like to e-mail you and Ben for your suggestions on which unit to buy. You guys sound like you know the "game". Thanks

Bob, if it's ok, I would like to e-mail you and Ben for your suggestions on which unit to buy. You guys sound like you know the "game". Thanks

I, and I'm sure Ben, would be glad to answer a PM. As far as compressors go, lots of models fit the bill - depending on your environment, noise considerations, whether you might want to use it for other tasks, your budget, etc. It ain't rocket science and it's not hard to get together a working system.

I, and I'm sure Ben, would be glad to answer a PM. As far as compressors go, lots of models fit the bill - depending on your environment, noise considerations, whether you might want to use it for other tasks, your budget, etc. It ain't rocket science and it's not hard to get together a working system.

What Bob said. I have nowhere near the experience that Bob does, but will do my best to help.

Ben

What Bob said. I have nowhere near the experience that Bob does, but will do my best to help.

Ben

I appreciate the offer, man, and I will be hittin' ya up. I'm so glad I stumbled across this board. From many hours of reading......I can tell that it's people helping people. I'm gonna try this simply because it looks like fun and I got a ton of baits that need refinishing. :) Thanks again, everyone, for your cordial welcome to the site.

Salty

Seems to me your paying an awful lot for an air compressor in that kit. Don't get me wrong. It's a good compressor, but at that price your paying over $200 just for the compressor. The Iwata Revolution BR can be found for less than $80. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby you can get it even cheaper with one of their 20% off coupons. I did just the opposite of what this kit does. I bought an Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH for a little over $200 and then bought an air tool style compressor for about $120. The capabilities of the Hi-Line HP-CH are way above my skill level, but it is a sweet brush that seemed to make my learning curve much easier. The expensive brush sure didn't make me a great artist, but it did make a lot of things easier for me. If I were going to spend the kind of money your talking about I'd spend it on the brush. But that's just me.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Seems to me your paying an awful lot for an air compressor in that kit. Don't get me wrong. It's a good compressor, but at that price your paying over $200 just for the compressor. The Iwata Revolution BR can be found for less than $80. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby you can get it even cheaper with one of their 20% off coupons. I did just the opposite of what this kit does. I bought an Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH for a little over $200 and then bought an air tool style compressor for about $120. The capabilities of the Hi-Line HP-CH are way above my skill level, but it is a sweet brush that seemed to make my learning curve much easier. The expensive brush sure didn't make me a great artist, but it did make a lot of things easier for me. If I were going to spend the kind of money your talking about I'd spend it on the brush. But that's just me.

Ben

Ben, I have a Craftsman 20 gal compressor. Is it too big for airbrushing?

Ben, I have a Craftsman 20 gal compressor. Is it too big for airbrushing?

I know this was directed towards Ben , but the answer is no. You can never have an air compressor two big for airbrushing, the bigger the tank size the longer you will be able to spray with out the pump running. You will need a good water trap, and regulator to bring it down to the appropriate psi but thats about it! Hope that helped

I know this was directed towards Ben , but the answer is no. You can never have an air compressor two big for airbrushing, the bigger the tank size the longer you will be able to spray with out the pump running. You will need a good water trap, and regulator to bring it down to the appropriate psi but thats about it! Hope that helped

Yes sir, it did...thank you. Good to know that I don't have to invest in another one.:rolleyes:

Edited by saltshaker