• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 squirrel3495

squirrel3495

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

A couple years ago, I was at a bass tournament. One of the non-boaters was removing his rods from his pro's boat and he had them all wrapped together. I struck up a conversation with him because I had never seen anyone carry their rods in this manner. The wraps were soft plastic or foam on the outside and a bendable metal on the inside. He just took on wrap and twisted it around the lower section of the rods and it held them all together, same thing for the top. I recall them to be about 12" long and they were multicolored. He told me the name of them and that he bought them at his local hardware store but I can't remember for the life of me. I have also scoured the local hardware stores in my area with no luck.

#2 Vodkaman

Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

A couple years ago, I was at a bass tournament. One of the non-boaters was removing his rods from his pro's boat and he had them all wrapped together. I struck up a conversation with him because I had never seen anyone carry their rods in this manner. The wraps were soft plastic or foam on the outside and a bendable metal on the inside. He just took on wrap and twisted it around the lower section of the rods and it held them all together, same thing for the top. I recall them to be about 12" long and they were multicolored. He told me the name of them and that he bought them at his local hardware store but I can't remember for the life of me. I have also scoured the local hardware stores in my area with no luck.

He may have been too embarrassed to tell you the whole truth:

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B004ZZN84Q

Dave

#3 powerworm

powerworm

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

i think what he was using is the bungee cords that are more solid but fexible and you just twist them around stuff like you would a bread bag tie and they are good for what you say demonstrated

#4 squirrel3495

squirrel3495

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

i think what he was using is the bungee cords that are more solid but fexible and you just twist them around stuff like you would a bread bag tie and they are good for what you say demonstrated

Powerworm, Thats exactly what they seemed like. I can't believe I have never seen anything similar with all of my 1000's of trips to the hardware store for this hobby. They were so handy.

Vodkaman: I disturbs me you were able to find that so quickly!!!!

#5 Vodkaman

Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Powerworm, Thats exactly what they seemed like. I can't believe I have never seen anything similar with all of my 1000's of trips to the hardware store for this hobby. They were so handy.

Vodkaman: I disturbs me you were able to find that so quickly!!!!

Yes, it would make you wonder. But don't worry, I am bald.

Here is another link, of a more masculine product: http://www.amazon.co...286168&s=garden

Dave

#6 idreamofmusky

idreamofmusky

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Seems like I have seen something like this advertised on tv. May be able to find 'em in the "as seen on tv" aisle at a local "mart" store.

#7 nova

nova

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Yes, it would make you wonder. But don't worry, I am bald.

Here is another link, of a more masculine product: http://www.amazon.co...286168&s=garden

Dave

I buy that stuff for my greenhouse at the dollar store. $1 for 20 meters. Never thought to use it as a rod wrap. Good idea.

www.novalures.com

#8 oldtoolsniper

oldtoolsniper

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

hot head foam twist ties

http://www.sears.com.../p-00914936000P

#9 Senkosam

Senkosam

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

They sell these in the beauty supply section of most stores. They are used to wrap hair around something or other and come in different lengths.
afoamrodholders_zpsc0346212.jpgfoamrodholders_zps8dd3919c.jpg

Edited by Senkosam, 20 March 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#10 redg8r

redg8r

Founder

• TU Admin
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Also check big box stores near the bungee's & tie downs:

http://www.homedepot...59#.UUpb2xfqmlU