Charles_Gantt

Keeping Plastic In Pyrex Hot? Griddle?

I seem to remember someone mentioning that you can use a griddle to keep your pyrex pouring cups warm. Is this true or am I mistaken? I know setting them on direct heating elements will make them explode but what about a griddle?

I personally haven't had real good luck with that . I just try to heat and shoot enough for the molds in front of me. I don't do a lot of fancy laminating and stuff so it works for me.

I do it all the time. It will not keep it hot forever but it will let you shoot a few rounds. If you are fast enough you can shoot alot but you have to have a system so you reheat the sprues to add heat back into the original cups. You also have to keep it stirred up to keep it from skinning on the top. Frank

I think for about 5 bucks more you can get one with high sides, that one is better as the pyrex will move around when stirring. It might be called a skillet. Frank

Frank,

I have seen your videos on youtube and feel you are a wealth of information. Generally, what temperature do you keep your griddle at to keep your plastic? I know that it will vary from outside temps etc. I am just looking for a baseline temp to not overheat the plastic and most importantly the Pyrex. Thanks.

Frank,

I have seen your videos on youtube and feel you are a wealth of information. Generally, what temperature do you keep your griddle at to keep your plastic? I know that it will vary from outside temps etc. I am just looking for a baseline temp to not overheat the plastic and most importantly the Pyrex. Thanks.

I keep the one in the video at 400 all the time but have a smaller one the I use between 350 and 400. I dont think the pyrex is even close to its limit. But if you use say a butter knife to mix with the pinging of the glass could cause a breaking problem. Tempered glass is a real unknown. Frank