sportsfisher

Mylar Foiling Tips

hello,

i have just got my hands on some Mylar that im hoping will be exactly what ive been looking for to do a particular lure colour, i have not attempted using it yet but i just thought id through a few questions out there incase anyone can solve a few problems that ive though of.

firstly, ive read the tuorial (hazmail) already, which was great (thanks hazmail!). but i'm concerned the paint and clear coat will not stick to the mylar. which i think i read about somewhere on this forum before.

is there anything i can do to promote adheasion for both airbrushing waterbased acrylics and clear coating?

is there a type of clearcoating that will stick better than others? epoxy or urethane etc?

thanks in advance.

I tried using Mylar from an emergency blanket a few years ago. It is a thin plastic film with the metal (aluminum?) deposited on one side and you need to know "which side is up" if you use solvent based adhesives or finishes that can affect the metal side. It's so reflective that it shows every tiny unevenness in the surface you apply it to, so you need to take special care with surface prep and sanding. I encapsulated mine with an epoxy topcoat, which seemed to work OK but took away some of the reflectivity. After playing around with it on a couple of baits, I gave up. Hope you have better luck!

I tried using Mylar from an emergency blanket a few years ago. It is a thin plastic film with the metal (aluminum?) deposited on one side and you need to know "which side is up" if you use solvent based adhesives or finishes that can affect the metal side. It's so reflective that it shows every tiny unevenness in the surface you apply it to, so you need to take special care with surface prep and sanding. I encapsulated mine with an epoxy topcoat, which seemed to work OK but took away some of the reflectivity. After playing around with it on a couple of baits, I gave up. Hope you have better luck!

thanks BobP,

i can tell its going to be harder to work with than normal alum foil.

i will have a go at it and see how it turns out.