- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MagicBob

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:54 AM

I've been thinking about lure design a lot lately and eyes keep coming up. I have read articles talking about fish keying on their prey's eyes so ya gotta have big prominent eyes for them to key on. What I don't understand is that the most successful finess lure of all time (at least in Ca.) is the Senko, and it has no eyes at all. Before the Senko I fished Sluggos a lot in gin clear lakes (deadstick) where the bass would swim up to them and look and look then finally swim away. So I glued some eyes on my Sluggo and the bass did exactly the same thing. No difference! I even tell people who tell me eyes are critical that I take the eyes off my lures because predators key in on cripples. In fishing you can make a logical argument for almost anything.
Of course I don't really take the eyes off because in order to hang a lure on the end of my line I gotta have confidence in it. So I like lures with very realistic looking eyes (never the flashy holographic ones) even though I don't really think they make a bit of difference. What about you?

#2 RiverMan

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:04 PM

Hi Bob,

There was quite a discussion on this exact subject a few months back. You might do a search on it.