Mitchell

Do You Install The Lip Before Or After Painting?

Hello everyone, I'm still working on my first few baits. I've got them shaped ,sanded, and sealed. I have the lips cut from the lexan. My question is, should I paint the body first then install the lip or should I install the lip and mask it? Is their any benefit one way or the other or is it just personal preference? Just curious how you more experienced folks do it. Also when I install the lip is 5 minute epoxy good enough or should I use 30 minute? Any tips are certainly welcome.

I install my lips before I paint and the reason for that is the way I line up the lip with the body. I apply blue painters tape on my lip material before cutting it out. I then do the layout for the lip on top of the tape. All my measurements are worked off of a centerline that is marked onto the tape. After cutting out the lip I leave the tape on except for where the lip slides into the lip slot. I also use a drafting compass to mark a centerline on the lure blank before shaping it. If the centerline on the lure blank starts to get sanded away when shaping I take the time to remark it. When I get ready to glue the lip into the lip slot it's just a matter of lining up the centerline on the body with the centerline on the lip. You can sight down the line on the back of the lure body and tweak the lip from side to side until both lines line up. Now keep in mind that I'm only building a few baits at a time. This may be way too slow for some, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and it's just easier for me doing it this way.

Ben

I install all of my lips after i paint my lures, I have 3 layers of topcoat so I put the lip in after I apply the first layer then apply the rest. I don't not like paint on my lips for all of my new cranks, repaints of course will have a little on the lip.

Jeff