MuskyGary

Lip Depth?

Yep. I use a 10 or 12mm slot for bass baits but would go deeper for larger baits just to be sure there is enough glue surface to make for a secure lip. It's one of those things you can screw up unless you design the lip specifically for the depth of lip slot you plan to use on the bait. Small differences in exposed lip length can make big differences.

Small differences in exposed lip length can make big differences.

I found this out this past weekend. I made about a dozen baits and have tried them out for the first time in Maine this past week. I am happy to report i was able to catch fish with the lures I made. Unfortunately several lure did not perform to expectations. Although they swam in the bath tub tests, some were very sensitive to retrieval speed. The size, shape, and ballasts I feel were all done within a tight control, however, lip slot depth had some variation. I thought this would only effect the depth the lure dove. It seems it also have a significant effect on action.

(obviously) on smaller lures, the lip doesn't need to go in as far. If you put all your topcoats on after lip installation and use multiple topcoats (like 3 or more on bass lures), you can also get away with a shallower lip depth. 1/4" seems like a good rule of thumb for plain lexan lips (not the kind with built in tie in), but you can get away with less, especially with smaller lures.