Matt Moreau

Your Favorite Or Go To Crankbait Color

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what is your favorite crankbait color for ALL conditions? I know I know....But pretend there is one!

Let’s say you’re going on a trip and hitting clear deep water, shallow muddy water and everything in between..... If you can only bring one color what would it be? Since this is a custom forum lets have the production color and if you want your version of that color. You don’t have to give up any secrets here and I am not looking for recipes but if you want to add that to your reply please feel free.

The reason I ask is that I am going to participate in the lure swap and want to know what is the favored color amongst anglers. Then my 10 cranks will be a version of that color.

I fish mainly shallow stained to muddy waters and my favorite colors are craw and bluegill patterns. I would have to guess I am in the minority here though. I think Shad patterns will probably win. Lets hear what you think will be the favorite.

Thanks for the replies!

I know you might not have even heard of this bait, but i have caught a ton of fish on it in all kinds of conditions. It's made by Bandit Lure's and it's called a......Mistake. It's red with black stripes on one side and green with black stripes on the other. I use the 200 series most of the time....If you have $4.00 bucks burning a hole in you pocket you should buy one....Or better yet paint the color on your favorite style crank......

Brent

For bass fishing, hands down, without a doubt day in day out will catch fish is a baby bass pattern with a nicely black tipped tail feather and a nicely visible broken lateral line. Somedays a gill or a craw or a shad pattern are definitely better, but no matter what in any area where bass are baby bass are trying to grow up and move in. A baby bass will catch fish any time of year in any area. Sure if there are a ton of postage stamp size gills around bass may key on them better, but if there are no gills they aren't going to hit a gill pattern as well as they will a baby bass. If they are busting on shad a shad pattern or any shiny lure really will outfish anything else, but the outrunners and fish not actively chasing will still hit the baby bass, and the ones that stay in the area after the shad leave aren't going to be looking to chase shad that aren't there.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Gene,You're right! Give me a silver and black lure any day.Clear to muddy water it will catch fish.But my favorite right now is a craw pattern that I paint.It has a orange belly,chartreuse sides and a dark brown shell pattern.After those two give me a bluegill pattern,they live everywhere and bass eat them more than people think.

Picking only one is tough. I live on the columbia river in WA and fish for Smallmouth primarily so my answers will be a bit different than most. Instead of shad, we have smolt so I always like a chrome blue back or chrome black back shallow water bait. If I want something a little deeper, I'll use a deep lil N in spring craw. If I have to choose only one though, gold black back is pretty tough to beat.

my go to lure has always been a norman lures middle n inthe spring crawdad color - it has worked for me in muddy waters like my local lakes on the coosa (weiss, neely henry, logan martin) as well as on clearer lakes such as guntersville and especially in eufaula - my last trip to eufaula i was either throwing it or a shakey tail jig - for 4 days of fishing

Chrome sides blue back any lake and time of year.

Shad patterns, ahhhhhhhhhhh. The only shad I know are 2 to 5 pounds and swim in the Delaware river. Imagine matching that size bait fish. :huh:

Edited by TSuprum

When I'm going for stiper I always use a basic red white pattern. As I look down the bank 90% of the other fishermen are using shad. I just like to give the fish a different option at the buffet, beside the fact that the pattern works. When I go for bass at the lake or local ponds I always fall back on a good bluegill pattern. If the fish are there you will know it within 5 min.

Gold glitter. I have worked out a special application method that gives me a mirrorlike finish that is more like a real baitfish than chrome, foil or anything else. (See the chartreuse hyperflash 2.5 ko in my gallery to see a chartreuse version)

Several months ago I wasn't sure if gold would produce too well in clear water, but over the past few weeks a have caught good numbers of quality (up to 4 pounds) bass in water clarity up to 14 feet! Some of these fish were caught on the burn but some were hooked on a moderate retrieve - testament to the power of this finish.

I coat my cranks with a pearl basecoat, then the glitter, olive or black back over that. Small patches are left glitterless here and there to resemble a baitfish with a few scales knocked off.

It produces equally well in murky water. When the water is dirty, the brilliant flash increases visibility.

In clear water, it is incredibly realistic and the intensity of flash helps obscure the bait as a fake.

Sunny or cloudy...doesn't matter!! Burn it when sunny, not so fast when cloudy..but it works under all skies.

Gold for all conditions. But otherwise I would choose silver for ultra clear water, even though I haven't bought a jar of silver yet. But I'm dying to see if it will outproduce gold.

Edited by blazt*