• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 crankpaint

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

shad will keep me in fish 99% of the time it looks like alot of baitfish from minnows to chubs to small gills and crappie

#22 Fishsticks

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

When I'm going for stiper I always use a basic red white pattern. As I look down the bank 90% of the other fishermen are using shad. I just like to give the fish a different option at the buffet, beside the fact that the pattern works. When I go for bass at the lake or local ponds I always fall back on a good bluegill pattern. If the fish are there you will know it within 5 min.

#23 A-Mac

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

clear water: blue back foil sides, killspot, pink under back tail with a very light chart lateral line
stained-muddy: chart back foil sides, killspot, & red gill (killer for spots!)

#24 blazt*

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Gold glitter. I have worked out a special application method that gives me a mirrorlike finish that is more like a real baitfish than chrome, foil or anything else. (See the chartreuse hyperflash 2.5 ko in my gallery to see a chartreuse version)
Several months ago I wasn't sure if gold would produce too well in clear water, but over the past few weeks a have caught good numbers of quality (up to 4 pounds) bass in water clarity up to 14 feet! Some of these fish were caught on the burn but some were hooked on a moderate retrieve - testament to the power of this finish.
I coat my cranks with a pearl basecoat, then the glitter, olive or black back over that. Small patches are left glitterless here and there to resemble a baitfish with a few scales knocked off.
It produces equally well in murky water. When the water is dirty, the brilliant flash increases visibility.
In clear water, it is incredibly realistic and the intensity of flash helps obscure the bait as a fake.
Sunny or cloudy...doesn't matter!! Burn it when sunny, not so fast when cloudy..but it works under all skies.
Gold for all conditions. But otherwise I would choose silver for ultra clear water, even though I haven't bought a jar of silver yet. But I'm dying to see if it will outproduce gold.

Edited by blazt*, 09 October 2011 - 05:46 PM.