RayburnGuy

Source For Abachi Wood

It looks like this place may have it, but I don't know anything about the company. I googled "abachi wood" and found pages of information, but few places selling it. Hope this leads to something. Musky Glenn

http://www.saunainte...d/sm_1827_2100/

That's the same trouble I was having Glenn. Lot's of info about it, but couldn't find a supplier here in the states. It looks like the place you found is overseas as well. Although they could have an outlet here in the states. Will have to contact them to be sure.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll post if I find anything.

Ben

Search for sauna suppliers. Abachi is commonly used for the benches.

Dave

ps. I knew I had read it here somewhere

Did some googling as well , .........obviously common only in Europe , .......US and Canadian sauna builders use local timbers , as far , as I could figure out .

There is an European company "Finnleo" obviously having distributers in the US , but as it seems , they only sell complete sauna kits and custom-build saunas , no single timber boards available on their site , ..........Ben , ....probably call in there whether they might be able or even willing to supply some left over scrap pieces ?

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

Did some googling as well , .........obviously common only in Europe , .......US and Canadian sauna builders use local timbers , as far , as I could figure out .

There is an European company "Finnleo" obviously having distributers in the US , but as it seems , they only sell complete sauna kits and custom-build saunas , no single timber boards available on their site , ..........Ben , ....probably call in there whether they might be able or even willing to supply some left over scrap pieces ?

greetz , diemai :yay:

Thanks Dieter. I had reached pretty much the same conclusion as you. Maybe someone will be willing to sell some scrap pieces if I can find anyone using Abachi.

Ben

Thanks for the link LaPala. It will prove to be very useful.

I saw that Bob. I thought I had read somewhere that Abachi was not much heavier than balsa and hard enough to use glue in twisted wire ties and hangers. The info on the link LaPala provided pretty much puts an end to thinking it would be a good substitute for balsa.

Thanks everyone. Sorry it ended up being a wild goose chase.

Ben

@ RayburnGuy

Ben , ........abachi has a weight somewhere between between balsa and pinewood , ......like balsa there are softer and harder densities to be found , ............the harder quality is also heavier in weight , off course .

Also similar to balsa the softer and lighter abachi does not have any visible grain layers and is of a light color , ......whereas the more dense and heavier stuff is a tad darker and has hardly visible grain marks .

Both of these hold epoxied screw eyes very well , I"ve tossed out pike of 30" + without any issues , .......but I can't tell about glued-in twisted wire eyes , ........though I'm certain , that no failures would occur as well , if processed properly .

On Saturday I'm going to the lumberyard in a neighbor town to get some more abachi boards 28 X 80 mm or similar , ........my own stock down the workshop is almost through .

Gonna try to find both densities , ......the ligther stuff for topwater lures and the denser kind for crankbaits , ..........if you're still interested , just PM your mail adress to me and I'll send you some samples enough to carve a couple of lures ,........ won't charge you anything !

greetz , Dieter :yay:

Your offer is truly appreciated Dieter, but there's no need to go to all that trouble and expense. Somewhere I had done some reading about abachi wood and thought it might be fun, and even educational, to try carving some lures out of it. If the only source for it is going to be overseas then it just wouldn't be practical to use it. There are many different types of wood available here in the states to experiment with. Enough to keep me busy for a long, long time.

Thanks again for your kind offer,

Ben

@ RayburnGuy

..............up to you , Ben , .........but I see your point , .........if you'd be very happy with that material and don't have a steady supplying source , .........that'll surely be a great pain in the butt for the lure carver :pissed: .

greetz , Dieter :yay: