A-Mac

Famo Wood Glaze Coat Top Coat

It is similar I think. Is that the one at Lowes? I have tried the one from Home Depot called Super Glaze but it is a little harder and/or brittle than Etex. Not sure about the one you are talking about. The company that makes Etex makes several similar products so it may be one of those I don't know for sure.

It is similar I think. Is that the one at Lowes? I have tried the one from Home Depot called Super Glaze but it is a little harder and/or brittle than Etex. Not sure about the one you are talking about. The company that makes Etex makes several similar products so it may be one of those I don't know for sure.

yeah, its from lowes... i broke down and bought some to try. it is very similar to etex, but not sure if it is necessarilly better yet. My cranks have came out well. you can put an impression in the clear with your nail, but it will smooth out after a few minutes.

however, i just got done painting my buds guitar (to resemble the Metallica "Load" album cover) and I ran into some issues using this product to clear it. The front of the guitar came out well (thankfully thats were most the paint work was), but the back had some pretty major fish eyeing. Considering I painted the back solid black and wore latex gloves the entire time I was very disappointed to see such major fish-eyeing. So I would say this is an ok clear for cranks, but I'd be skeptical about larger area use.

A couple things that may have affected the clear on the guitar: humidity (im in indiana) or perhaps mixing the clear in a paper cup. The clear did get warm quick, so maybe the clear that was applied to the guitar was curing quicker on the back. im thinking that next time i use this stuff for a larger surface area that i will mix it in a wide and shallow container to reduce the heat and prevent faster curing. i guess once this thing dries in a few days i'll have to give it another whorl.

A couple things that may have affected the clear on the guitar: humidity (im in indiana) or perhaps mixing the clear in a paper cup. The clear did get warm quick, so maybe the clear that was applied to the guitar was curing quicker on the back. im thinking that next time i use this stuff for a larger surface area that i will mix it in a wide and shallow container to reduce the heat and prevent faster curing. i guess once this thing dries in a few days i'll have to give it another whorl.

Check the paper cups, they are usually wax coated to water proof them. This would cause your fish eye problem. But you did say that the display side worked fine.

Dave

Check the paper cups, they are usually wax coated to water proof them. This would cause your fish eye problem. But you did say that the display side worked fine.

Dave

yeah, that had me worried too after applying the last coat. however, its going well (as long as my rotisserie motor doesn't burn out!). i ended up using a sandwich plasticware container to mix the last coat, seemed to work well so far.

still not so sure about using it on cranks, i would prefer a rigid clear as oppose to a pliable clear. but for a guitar, its probably perfect. it did say on the label that it can be polished too.