Lngnokr71

Air Brush Kit For Newbie

Hello, I'm new to the site, new to the hobby/craft of custom hand painted lures and absolutely fascinated with idea of customizing my own hard baits. I'm slowly piecing together what I need to do so and I'm at a point where I'm ready to purchase an airbrush and compressor and thought I would ask if this kit would be ok, or might any of you see any issues with it or possibly suggest a better option. Not trying to break the bank on this but I definitely want a decent brush and compressor.

My link

Edited by Lngnokr71

You are not allowed to post ebay listings on TU. The page you posted was just a page of ads anyway. I found the listing, but if you go to the guys ebay shop, that item is 'available now' for $94.95, a lot cheaper than the auction price. The store name is 'funhobby'.

Personally, I think you would be better saving up for better quality in the airbrush and a larger compressor. No details are given on the actual items, which raises suspicions in my head. A lot depends on your particular circumstances, regarding space, noise etc.

Read up on TU, lots written about airbrush and compressor choice. I am sure someone will jump in here and give you solid advice on the above kit.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I didn't find the link but have a comment. Guys buy different airbrushes - domestic, Japanese, Chinese, etc and most of them work OK. My preference is Iwata based on owning different brands over the years, but that's just me. I see airbrush kits from the Far East whose compressors simply don't develop enough sustained pressure. An advertised max pressure of 30 psi just doesn't hack it. You need a compressor that has an advertised max pressure of at least 60 psi, IMO. When you pull the trigger, that 60 psi will quickly bleed down to a sustained 45 psi, which is the max recommended sustained psi for many airbrushes. You won't always use it, but it's really nice to have it when you need it.

I would also go with an Iwata. Mine has worked great ever since I got it. I started out with a pancake air compressor and that is alright if you want to jump out of your seat every 5 - 10 minutes. I then bit the bullet and got a 33 gallon upright craftsman and you can turn that on and shut it off and spray for hours on the same tank. I would just go with as big of an air compressor that you can afford it is well worth it.

Thanks for the advise it's definitely been helpful. Now I've narrowed down my choices and I'll either go with an Iwata revolution BR or possibly a Master airbrush G44, has anyone had experience with the Master brand airbrushes and how do they compare with the Iwata's. Also, can I possibly use my little shop air compressor?

Thanks for the advise it's definitely been helpful. Now I've narrowed down my choices and I'll either go with an Iwata revolution BR or possibly a Master airbrush G44, has anyone had experience with the Master brand airbrushes and how do they compare with the Iwata's. Also, can I possibly use my little shop air compressor?

Just a little side note on your airbrush choices. It would be very beneficial to get one you can get parts for...ie nozzle and needle and the such. I bought a Air pro gun and while I like the performance, getting parts takes about 7-10 days... Also the smaller compressors they sell at Harbor Freight are ok to start with, just make sure to get a air dryer/cleaner, it will save a paint job one day...

I have an Iwata BR and it has been excellent. Yes, just about any shop air compressor will drive an airbrush. The bigger the better as far as how long the compressor will run during your painting, but a 2 gallon 100 psi compressor will deliver all the air you need (but will run more often than ones with larger air storage tanks).

I also have a revolution BR and that thing can do just about anything at least I have not found anything it can't do. You can put a lot of detail into baits with that gun. I talked to some people at TCP global about the Master G44 and they said hands down the Iwata is a much better gun. He said they get some calls on durability issues for the Master.

I don't know if I made a mistake but here's what I purchased before most of the responses to this thread and after reading reviews. I guess I can always get an Iwata airbrush at a later date.

compressor

• CE, GS, ETL, CETL and ROHS Approved.
  • High efficiency.
  • Durable aluminum alloy.
  • Portable and light weight.
  • Low noise and Oil free.
  • Working pressure adjustable.
  • Can start with pressure, and continuous work.
  • Much Safer! Thermally protected!
    It will turn off automatically when the power over heated.
  • Automatic On/Off function for safe to use.
    Start at 43 psi and Stop at 57 psi.
  • Saving Electricity! The compressor will start working when the air brush spraying, and stop automatically when the air brush stop spraying.
  • Pressure Regulator and Filter with Gauge can help you to check the air leakage and make air adjustment precisely.
  • The Water Release Valve can be open to release the water or moisture at any time.
  • One On/Off Switch for easy use.
  • Very portable with a easy Carrying Handle.
  • Skidproof Rubber Feet for table use.
  • Suitable for diam 0.2-1.0mm air brush with nozzle.
  • One 6 Ft Air Hose with airproof rubber for connecting air compressor and air brush easily.
  • Please read the instruction manual before using.
  • Free Gift: A 2-brush holder for holding TWO air brushes conveniently.

Airbrush: Master SB82

<br class="clear">

master_precision50h.jpg

MASSB82.jpg

High Precision Detail Control

Dual-Action Side-Feed Airbrush (Provides Extreme Atomization and Air Control)

Provides direct vision of the work surface, allowing for close-up extra fine detail work.

Excellent for Applications where Accurate Spray Control is required to do Highly Detailed Work such as: Automotive Graphics, Illustration, Nails.

• Precision Machined 4 Piece Matched Airbrush Head System for extremely fine atomization
  • Direct Air Control Regulation Valve at the head of the airbrush enables Accurate Micro Fine Spray Control!
  • Cutaway Handle allows for quick cleaning and flushing for increased airbrush production!
  • 0.2 mm Needle/Nozzle, Hairline to 1" Pattern
  • 1/6 oz. Interchangable Side-Feed Cup

I don't know if I made a mistake but here's what I purchased before most of the responses to this thread and after reading reviews. I guess I can always get an Iwata airbrush at a later date.

compressor

• CE, GS, ETL, CETL and ROHS Approved.
  • High efficiency.
  • Durable aluminum alloy.
  • Portable and light weight.
  • Low noise and Oil free.
  • Working pressure adjustable.
  • Can start with pressure, and continuous work.
  • Much Safer! Thermally protected!

It will turn off automatically when the power over heated.

• Automatic On/Off function for safe to use.

Start at 43 psi and Stop at 57 psi.

• Saving Electricity! The compressor will start working when the air brush spraying, and stop automatically when the air brush stop spraying.
  • Pressure Regulator and Filter with Gauge can help you to check the air leakage and make air adjustment precisely.
  • The Water Release Valve can be open to release the water or moisture at any time.
  • One On/Off Switch for easy use.
  • Very portable with a easy Carrying Handle.
  • Skidproof Rubber Feet for table use.
  • Suitable for diam 0.2-1.0mm air brush with nozzle.
  • One 6 Ft Air Hose with airproof rubber for connecting air compressor and air brush easily.
  • Please read the instruction manual before using.
  • Free Gift: A 2-brush holder for holding TWO air brushes conveniently.

Airbrush: Master SB82

<br class="clear">

master_precision50h.jpg

MASSB82.jpg

High Precision Detail Control

Dual-Action Side-Feed Airbrush (Provides Extreme Atomization and Air Control)

Provides direct vision of the work surface, allowing for close-up extra fine detail work.

Excellent for Applications where Accurate Spray Control is required to do Highly Detailed Work such as: Automotive Graphics, Illustration, Nails.

• Precision Machined 4 Piece Matched Airbrush Head System for extremely fine atomization
  • Direct Air Control Regulation Valve at the head of the airbrush enables Accurate Micro Fine Spray Control!
  • Cutaway Handle allows for quick cleaning and flushing for increased airbrush production!
  • 0.2 mm Needle/Nozzle, Hairline to 1" Pattern
  • 1/6 oz. Interchangable Side-Feed Cup
OOPS, I meant I bought this before I read reviews.

That'll work. You get all kinds opinions from guys who use particular brands of equipment but IMO, equipment considerations are 20% of airbrushing. The other 80% is learning how to use it. Down the road you may decide to change over or upgrade something when circumstance dictates or budget allows. In the meantime, it's all about using the stuff you have to the best of your (and the equipment's) ability.