esox2525

How Do You Apply Screw Eyes To Your Baits

Left handed engineers are wired differently which makes them all a little strange. I am OK with this.:D

The wire in the video is quite thin, 0.031" diameter. I am building a bunch of small cranks at the moment. I am not absolutely sure what the spec of wire is, either SS 304 or 304L.

The grades of Stainless Steel wire that you should be looking for are: 304 : 304L : 308 : 316 : 316L all these SS wires should be fine for lure building. If your wire has spring back and seems overly stiff, it may be 400 series, which is the wrong choice. The 300 series wires are more corrosive resistant and soft.

Here is a very recent discussion on wires that contains a lot of useful information.

Dave

Thanks Dave. That's a good thread. I'll be looking for some 304 wire to try.

@ Vodkaman

..............great video , Dave , ....thanks for posting , .........gotta make myself such a jig as well , as up to now I'm clamping a nail on the very sideward edge of my vise , ........looks a lot more convinient this way , as one gains more space to wrap around .

But what is that wooden block for , that you slide on prior to snipping off , .....is it to determine about even lengths ?

Thanks for sharing :worship: , ..........greetz , Dieter :yay:

I have always used sst screw eyes and pre drilled with bits that were as small as possible to increase holding strength. Epoxied in none have pulled out. I did have someone request a high strength hook hanger and not wanting to do a thu wire i came up with something that worked well. In a 8in spook i drilled a 1/4 wide hole where the hangers were gonna go. IN this hole I inserted a .072inch sst open screw eye. Recessed far enough into the body so I could hang one side of a HD ball bearing swivel from the screw eye and the other side would act as the hanger. To secure the swivel in position I smushed some quik set epoxy putty into the hole and all around the screw eye. When this cured I could put an 60 lb bag of concrete in a 5 gallon bucket and wire it to the belly hook hanger. while lifting and shaking the connection never budged and that bait is still smacking stripers to this day without a problem. Im sorry I dont have pics but I thought that maybe someone could benifit from this post... I think the epoxy putty is the key

Edited by Toxicbaits

@ Vodkaman

..............great video , Dave , ....thanks for posting , .........gotta make myself such a jig as well , as up to now I'm clamping a nail on the very sideward edge of my vise , ........looks a lot more convinient this way , as one gains more space to wrap around .

But what is that wooden block for , that you slide on prior to snipping off , .....is it to determine about even lengths ?

Thanks for sharing :worship: , ..........greetz , Dieter :yay:

I am trying to design an easy to make, easy to use jig for doing these forms. My personal challenge is to make 3 completed forms in a minute or less. I am getting there but still nada. I did see a video of a guy who made the barrel twist between two blocks of wood, but I cannot find the video link. If you want to see some really cool machines, youtube 'wire bending'.

Dieter - I was hoping someone would ask about the block of wood :P When I cut the wires, the block stops the twisted wire from escaping to my cave floor, where it would never be seen again. I have lost a lot of small stuff to the floor, but my wire twists are now safe.

Dave