jeb

Thinning paint

Hey guys,

I just broke down and bought an air brush. I couldn't receive the desired finish with spray cans, and am getting much better results with the air brush. One question I have though is about thinning the paint to flow through the airbrush. I was using a white opaque by createx as a base color and it was to thick by itself to flow through the brush. I added just enough water to the paint so it would flow. My question is, will water be okay to thin the paint and does it effect the pigment of other colors? Would a paint thinner or something else be better, and what would that be? If I used a thinner would it dry faster? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

jeb

Hey Jeb, Glad to hear you took the airbrush plunge! I agree with Ken, water is ok and the LEAST expensive. If you plan on using Createx, for the most part the colors are good right out of the bottle, BUT and I say but, Some colors have given me problems. Red, Black and White usually seem to need to be thinned... I think they have more pigment in them. :?: I dunno on that though. Also it depends on how long this paint has sat on the shelves. I have seen a few colors on craft store shelves look as if they have been there for 5 years! I just air brushed some lures with craft paint that I bought at Wal-Mart for like .44 cents a bottle! I got some real intense colors and I didnt have to mix a lot of paint to get the colors I needed. The colors were right out of the bottle. I got an awesome Firetiger design.. again right out of the bottle! The only problem is that this paint is real thick, I mean super thick! I bought an extender which it basicly says on the bottle is a paint thinner. It has no smell... so I'll bet its nothing more than water! LOL I thinned out my black which was my last color to shoot, and it actually came out good at first, then it had a real weak splatter that was controlled, and I actually liked the effect it gave the lure. It was a very happy mistake! I know I didnt thin it enough or consistently, but Im still learning how to thin out the paint! Cody