crankbaits

Can Anyone Explain This.

Some of my crankbaits run great for three or four casts and then stop working,A few casts later they work again.Also I have some baits that will not run unless you give them a sharp jerk at the begining of the retrieve.I thought it was trapped air,but they do it after I let them sit after the cast.Any insight would help.

Edited by crankbaits

One thing that comes to mind is that your line tie is somehow moving around. I used to have that problem with a lot of the old Poe's cranks. The line ties weren't securely fastened and would move slightly from side to side making it impossible to keep them tuned. The line tie doesn't have to move much at all to drastically change the way a bait runs. Are your line ties in the nose of the bait or in the lip? A picture of one that is giving you trouble might help.

Ben

Some of my crankbaits run great for three or four casts and then stop working,A few casts later they work again.Also I have some baits that will not run unless you give them a sharp jerk at the begining of the retrieve.I thought it was trapped air,but they do it after I let them sit after the cast.Any insight would help.

Crankbaits, like spinners, have a minimum start speed. Once they are running, you can slow them down, but there is a speed lower limit were the action stops. This minimum speed is totally dependant on the lip width, the narrower the lip, the higher the speed limit. If you prefer to work your cranks slow, then consider building with a wider lip.

Dave

If your tying directly to the crankbait without a split ring or snap, make sure you use a loop knot. I usually use the rapala knot. A clinch knot will bind up in different spots on the line tie and cause the lure to act funny from cast to cast. I know I'm pointing out the obvious but it took me years to figure that out.

If these are crankbaits your making from scratch than it could be any number of factors. If you post a picture and some design details you might get a better answer.