Gar-Tracker

Scales (yet Another Newbiie Question)

I ordered some scale cloth with the assumption its to be used as a stencil, upon receiving it Im thinking it can be applied directly to the bait, how wrong or right am I and if applied would it be painted or dyed to achieve the color?

Signed: Clueless in Florida.

Edited by Gar-Tracker

The material is generally used as a stencil. But it can also be glued to the body and foiled over with thin aluminium foil, burnished with a blunt object, to bring out the scale pattern. This also creates a 3D effect on the bait. There are a few builders that use this method.

Welcome to TU.

Dave

I also buy scale fabric (I think it's called tulle), the stuff that's used for wedding veils, from a fabric store.

I don't wash it. I find it actually gets softer and easier to use when it has been used once and has a coat of heat-set airbrush paint on it.

I use it until the openings start to get too small from paint buildup, and then I change to a new piece.

I haven't tried fabric softener yet, but I will, now that it's been suggested.

I use only body wash sponge from the shower.. After I rub them all over me for 3 or 4 weeks they soften up to peak performance. I ran a test for 6 months... Just to see which method worked better.. Brand New Body Wash Sponge or USED ONE!!!

Both will work..I just feel that the overall performance of the USED BODY WASH SPONGE WORKS best.. IF you USE OLD SPICE BODY WASH. I haven't tested DOVE or my old standby... KY JELLY MIXTURE as of yet... But I will sure keep you posted if anything new ARISES...

FAT POTATO OUT!

Edited by The_Rookie