fongster

How To Silence Crankbaits?

You pretty much ruin a bait by gluing the rattles off center or removing them. If the rattles are designed to shift to stabilize the bait during the cast, you also lose that. Not saying don't do it... just be mindful of all the effects. Find out where the rattles are before you start hacking away and try it on one bait before you do others. I like to tinker and have messed with this several times, with about a 50% success rate. Rather than gluing the rattles, you might try removing them and replacing the weight with something that won't rattle, like lead/tungsten powder or mineral oil/water.

"Rather than gluing the rattles, you might try removing them and replacing the weight with something that won't rattle, like lead/tungsten powder or mineral oil/water. "

I like your idea! Oil or water could be problematic with sealing up the bait (i.e. dry surface issue for epoxy) but lead or tungsten powder sounds cool. Thanks.