LaPala

Laminated Acrylic Vibebait

TUP6140207.jpg

It's been ages since I have posted here. Now that I have stopped writing a hardbait DIY column for our local fishing magazine here (in Malaysia just in case you wanna ask), I have a bit more time to spare.

SO here goes:

Making a Vibebait from laminating Acrylic - weight distribution test trick.

I won't be very detail in describing the process as I will assume a basic knowledge of lure making is at your disposal already B)

1. These are the components of the lure body that is needed to be cut-out, shaped then glued up together:

TUP1010092.jpg

Copper rods are used for aligning the pieces together.

2. To work out the weighting:

TUP5230048.jpg

Styrofoam sheet is cut and shaped to fit the chambers in the middle piece, this is the closest approximation of air(available to me) that will occupy the chamber once it is glued up.

3. Water test and balance:

TUP5230050.jpg

Just tape weight to the front to get the correct attitude for a vibebait. I'll assume those who will be attempting this has an understanding of how the weight distribution of a vibebait should be and how to get the desired action by varying the distribution. Anyway, this method is a great way to test them all without having to make lure after lure.

4. Weight used earlier on the head is hammered flat and shaped to fit in the head, acrylic cut out to fit head weight that is formed. Future contruction of same lure will just require the head weight be molded. So keep your notes ;)

TUP5230056.jpg

5. This is the end result:

TUP5250001.jpg

Fins are carved from 1.5mm polycarbonate sheet.

and after some splashes of color.

TUP6140204.jpg

Comments, questions and suggestions for improvement most welcomed.

(PS: Just to be fair, I participate in quite a number of lure making forums, so it's copy paste to all of them.:P:P)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very innovative LP. A strong welcome back project for sure.

Should you decide to make several of these, I can see an easy system of router templates, but I know that mass production is not your game.

Great project.

Dave

Maybe one day Vodka when I can find the slaves to do the mass production work :D:D BTW you have any idea of a suitable cutting bit if it were to be used on acrylic?

The problem is the plastic melting and gumming up. From what I have read, two straight flutes are best. You need slow spindle speeds and higher feed rates. I haven't tried cutting acrylic or lexan with a router, but plan to in the near future. Quite a few posts on the web if you Google router acrylic. One of my projects is a lip cutting router, it is a 2D/3D copy machine, still at the CAD stage.

Here is a good discussion on the subject.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

LOL Mark don't worry I will not mention ur part in it :rolleyes:.

Vodka, followed the link, seem the solution is coolant! Just like when I cut the acrylic, I used engine oil then but it's messy. Routing would be throwing chips further too. I'll stick to having fun instead of mass producing :D

Hmmm,.. very nicely done, I like your approach to multi chambers. Yes cutting acrylic, or other poly carbonite material can be a daunting task, particularly with small pieces as they do not dissipate heat quickly enough, slow and easy is best and a directed cool air nozzle helps a lot.

bodfish